Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Waypoints

P

PoorOldSpike

Unlike CMx1, vehs don't like sharp turns, so place strings of waypoints to guide the vehs like slots in a model race car track, it's not as big a chore as you'd think because you do it quickly and instinctively without having to think too much-
be1.gif

Here's the tactic in action, I send an M8 HMC on a smooth fast path to take that Stug in the side, and for good measure send another HMC to shoot him through the bocage-
be2.gif

Neat job, the Stug fries.
(Incidentally I was trying a new explosion mod graphic but don't like it so i'll bin it and go back to default)-
be3.gif

ATTACHING ORDERS TO WAYPOINTS

Fully testing out the 'waypoint blob' thing is still on my test list.
Here's a brief test-
We want the Panth to reverse to the crossroads and then pivot to face right down the village street-

1:- Place a 'Reverse' waypoint, then click the right MB on any empty map area-
wp1.gif

2:- Left-click the blob to make it glow white..
wp2.gif

3:- and simply issue a 'Face' order-
wp3.gif

I am wondering if theres a way to edit waypoints. If Iam correct you could right click and drag the waypoints around in CM1. That doesnt seem to work in CM2.

MIXING WAYPOINT TYPES

I can't find a way to drag them but you can mix different types of waypoints into a path.
For example my Panther (foreground) has already fired at that M10 (circled), so this turn I've given it a short 'Slow' w/p (purple) so that it'll keep shooting at the M10 while moving (slow gives best spotting and accuracy); followed by a blue 'Move' waypoint which is a little faster, then finally a string of yellow 'Fast' w/ps to get it into the objective area as quickly as possible to help its mates there.
(Note- you can either set the w/p's normally from scratch, or click on their triangle/circle marker to change their movement type)

lhorse-oos.gif

Not sure if this is the thread to put this in, but following on from POS's mixing movement orders between waypoints; probably best not to use hunt move until the final move order. If a unit finds anything along it's hunt path, then all other orders are cancelled and the unit stop to engage the threat.

The use of cover arcs may complicate this issue of course, but I haven't tested that yet.

..probably best not to use hunt move until the final move order.
.....The use of cover arcs may complicate this issue of course, but I haven't tested that yet.

I rarely use 'Hunt' because it makes your whole force too touchy and prone to slamming on their brakes if they spot an enemy unit, even if its a tiny beat-up squad fleeing in panic.
Anyway tanks in Cmbn have good spotting and accuracy while moving, so if I need to gain ground I use the standard 'move' order most of the time and let them fire on the move.
For best spotting/accuracy 'Slow' is probably the best, and the faster you go the worse your spotting/acc becomes.
Cmbn is therefore more dramatic and exciting than old Cm1 because units can fire on the move much better and the whole show becomes like a whirling knifefight.

Arcs in Cmbn are risky and I don't use them as much as I do in Cm1 because in whirling dogfights the last thing you want to do is lock an arc to a certain sector,then find something comes at you from another direction.
Also the only way to remind yourself if you've left an arc on a unit is to click on each unit individually which is a chore, because there's no "Show all arcs" option like in Cm1.

I rarely use 'Hunt' because it makes your whole force too touchy and prone to slamming on their brakes if they spot an enemy unit, even if its a tiny beat-up squad fleeing in panic.
Anyway tanks in Cmbn have good spotting and accuracy while moving, so if I need to gain ground I use the standard 'move' order most of the time and let them fire on the move.
For best spotting/accuracy 'Slow' is probably the best, and the faster you go the worse your spotting/acc becomes.
Cmbn is therefore more dramatic and exciting than old Cm1 because units can fire on the move much better and the whole show becomes like a whirling knifefight.

Arcs in Cmbn are risky and I don't use them as much as I do in Cm1 because in whirling dogfights the last thing you want to do is lock an arc to a certain sector,then find something comes at you from another direction.
Also the only way to remind yourself if you've left an arc on a unit is to click on each unit individually which is a chore, because there's no "Show all arcs" option like in Cm1.

I definitely miss the Cover Armor Arc. I hate when my hull down tanks fire at a small Infantry squad and give away their position.

I definitely miss the Cover Armor Arc. I hate when my hull down tanks fire at a small Infantry squad and give away their position.

totally agree. Wasn't that included in CMBB when it first came out? I used to love the cover armor. I had some tremendous armor ambushes back then. T34's smoking, lots and lots of russian yelling.

happy days then

:smile:

I believe I read on the BF Forums they acknowledge the lack of a "covered armor" arc as an issue and I believe they are working on. Could be wishful thinking.

The silver lining is that the AI seems very sensitive to priority threat assessment and quickly shifts to new armored threats very quickly. It does blow the ambush though to inf recon.

POS, if a tank's covered arc is set short to avoid "pre-mature firing" ( and I think we all know how painful that can be) will it continue not to fire even if an armored target appears in its LOS down range?

ARC TESTS

I slapped this short arc on the Sherman, and it just sat watching without firing as that Stug came waddling out from behind a building and blew the Sher away-

arc1.gif

Next test I removed the arc from the Sher and it fired and drilled the Stug as soon as it appeared-

arc2.gif

Back