Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Welcome all ye ancients aficionados from Chariot runners to Cataphracts

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
This Field of Glory II forum is for FGM members who own the game and seek H2H/PBEM matches to play against other FGM members.
@Nelson1812, @Rico, @enigma6584, @mcmortison, @Mad Mike, @mTk, @sspoom , @Wellsonian, and yes, you too @Zinzan!

Step right up and post your match requests, AAR's, questions, answers, and, of course, Latin language trash talk!
There will be no ladder matches but everyone who completes a match should mention it here so that they be issued shiny FGM annual award ribbons for their adventures.
  • At least one (1) match this year earns the FOGII 2018 Player award -
    139_1543116948l.jpg
  • Completing five (5) matches this year earns the FOGII 2018 award with "V" device -
    140_1543117041l.jpg
  • Completing ten (10) matches this year earns the FOGII 2018 award with "X" device -
    141_1543117110l.jpg
At this time, @Rico and @Nelson1812 already qualify for the Ten Matches ribbon which have been awarded.
Please let me know who else should be considered.

I've also moved earlier posts regarding FOGII to this forum.

That's it for now Civium. Let the challenges commence. Venete! Videte! Vincete!

Last edited:
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! YUMMY" - my actual verbal reaction when seeing this forum.

Helllooooo sailors ;). Is my more rational reaction :)eek: Whot-Da-KFC :eek: rational!!!!)

I'm a pure solo player atm but I'm watching with great interest. (Phew) Little time to play is my biggest disadvantage. (In gaming anyways, in life not even close :))

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! YUMMY" - my actual verbal reaction when seeing this forum.

Helllooooo sailors ;). Is my more rational reaction :)eek: Whot-Da-KFC :eek: rational!!!!)

I'm a pure solo player atm but I'm watching with great interest. (Phew) Little time to play is my biggest disadvantage. (In gaming anyways, in life not even close :))

Its PBEM so just buddy up with a slow player. :)

Its PBEM so just buddy up with a slow player. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, - rubs chin slowly with a crafty glint to his one drooping, but open eye. (Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Stand behind me, I'll save you from the slavering beast of temptation.... :p - NOT helping @Bootie :shockaroona: )

I own the game as well, but only since last week, so NO experience and no PBEM games.

Dipping my toe back into this after my first rather lack luster impression. Seems like they've upped the graphics a bit so ther's that. Just got stomped by the Roman hvy infantry in tutorial #3. This is gonna take a bit.

Good news! I find the Command Range/Line of Site/Line of Fire aids (triggered by the expand arrow in the lower left corner) very helpful. The POA (Points of Advantage) tools help very much as well. Enjoy!

So, @mTk, let's see how badly I can obfuscate this matter . . . :eek:

"Points of Advantage" (POA) determine the "combat result" probabilities before you roll the die. The melee information pop-up lays them out. The game has some additional player aids which you can view when you left-click that little circled triangle on the bottom right of your screen.

j4aUpf1.png

Here are the detailed information panels which you "toggle" on and off by left clicking them.

pfrpQeZ.png

Here is a Detailed Unit info panel. In this case, you would scroll down to get the POA information which always displays as the bottom portion.

CuPz6WW.png

Here is a Line of Fire display

kVA1BKN.png

Besides the Detailed Information panels, you can left click a unit in melee and see expected outcomes

OOzdSYH.png

I hope this helps you enjoy the game better. I really enjoy playing it. When you have questions about it, just ask here.
@Nelson1812 is a more experienced player than me and can also help explain this stuff.
Good luck and good gaming. :cheerso:

@Badger73 All good stuff. I find some is just TMI as I get impatient with all the reading and just want to get on with it.

Yes, but . . . Like all table top miniature games, FOG II boils down to knowing how to calculate odds and pile on for a favorable outcome.

Now, what to do about those invincible Roman hvy inf units? Let's assume running around with cavalry to try to make a rear/flank charge is unlikely.

Don't make that assumption. Figure out how to place them in a poor position (bad terrain) or disrupt their cohesion for your follow up punch. It's especially handy when your forces immediately follow an enemy unit that routes and you break behind your opponent's line.

FOG II is a good game; a straightforward and quick kind of rock-scissors-paper ancient warfare. But it's not simple. Take bite sized pieces and enjoy!

Back