Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

what happens when the FO is killed and they called in a mission?

hmstanley

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I know it's bad.. but I can't remember if the artillery asset is totally gone and will be in some neverland state the entire game or the artillery asset fires and is available again even if the FO team is killed?

If I recall, and I could be wrong, I think it's stuck in that fire mission until empty.
If you click on another leader with a radio and click on the artillery icon everything should show "Busy".
But it's been a while since that happened to me to it may have changed with the new rev's.

All depends on the instructions your FO team gave to the artillery before being killed. They will finish that mission, watch where the shells land!)
If any ammo is left, your commanders can (I sure) instruct the artillery. These must have radios, (not sure if being close to a radio counts, ie such as a tank?) and the accuracy is not so good, and the firing time is longer.

I think i read that if he is killed while in "spotting" phase, it will just keep spotting forever
Never tested it but my guess would be that after a certain ammount of spotting rounds and not getting a response of the spotter, the artillery would cease fire at some point, erasing the firemission all together.

If the "fire for effect" phrase gets droped however the artillery will complete the whole mission, since they don´t need any input anymore. So in worst case scenario it will fire till it is empty.
There is no way to interrupt the mission with another spotter.

I know it's bad.. but I can't remember if the artillery asset is totally gone and will be in some neverland state the entire game or the artillery asset fires and is available again even if the FO team is killed?
mostly pain misery and frustration.... :(

the answer is it depends.. if the spotter is killed after the call but before spotting starts.. they will start to fire spotting rounds when the timer is up.... depending on title and quality of army the arty will fire spotting rounds ... maybe until the end of the battle or end of the ammo....but they will hopefully eventually understand nobody is calling adjustments back to them and ceasefire then the asset is ready to be used again..... i think killed before spotting phase maybe best for u..meaning they wont spend to much time in spotting phase before they ceasefire

if killed during spotting phase like above they will fire until they realize they need to stop due to lack of feedback.. i think this might be the phase it may take the longest for them to stop

if killed after fire for effect call they mission will proceed as planned then stop .... this only becomes an issue if you have called in a lower intensity max ammo mission with the intent on adjusting it as needed ... i assume u know usually adjusting a mission is much faster than calling it in fresh so in certain circumstances a lot of players me included will call in a mission with only 1 or 2 tubes at light intensity ... but max ammo... to be able adjust it on 2 or more locations... if spotter gets killed mission will proceed has is.... there are titles that they will adjust fire without a new spotting phase.... some will go thru a short spotting phase.....

as i am sure u know spotters are really valuable units and should be handled and moved with extreme care...including keeping them away from other combat units.... close to or behind them.... i recently had a spotter killed from an overshot meant for a tank about 80 meters in front of my spotter

... close to or behind them.... i recently had a spotter killed from an overshot meant for a tank about 80 meters in front of my spotter
If you need to launch an off map arty mission that close to your spotter something has probably already gone wrong. ;)

The 'Spotting' phase includes communication going back and forth between the forward observer and the off map unit so the off map unit will eventually cease the mission if the communication from the spotter ceases. The time delay for the off map unit working out the forward observer is out of contact is variable but likely influenced by experience level including that of the off map unit itself. It's all under the hood.

Unsure if and how the FO being in command and control of a senior officer like a Battalion Commander may alter things. Particularly if the Batt CO knows that "Bobby for FO bought it when that church tower exploded" before he finished his fire orders. Other officers can't take over the fire mission from the unit but may be able to end a dud mission quicker if there is a good command and control in place.

Back