What was the first model kit you ever built?

Rico

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
Mine was this Airfix "Dogfight Double" -- 1:72 Spitfire and Me 110 when I was I think 10 years old.

Bought it with saved pocket money from a small Pharmacy gift section of all places (saw it in the window on my way to the school bus). The final result wasn't too great ... especially those tricky transfer decals...

1582882572809.png

DoubleD

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Mine was a Lancaster, night bomber version. I must of been around 9 or 10, my dad helped me make it. I had it for many years, I think it was still in my parents attic when I left home.

Lancaster Bomber (2).jpg

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
God, flashbacks to life before the internet. Isn't it weird? As a little kid, it was playing outside. As a young teen, one of my pursuits was models. I think my first was a biplane!
Isn't it strange how some of us became interested in historical wars at an early age? Just a boy's natural tendency for action and adventure? Or was it that we lived previous lives?? o_O:eek::p

DoubleD

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
God, flashbacks to life before the internet. Isn't it weird? As a little kid, it was playing outside. As a young teen, one of my pursuits was models. I think my first was a biplane!
Isn't it strange how some of us became interested in historical wars at an early age? Just a boy's natural tendency for action and adventure? Or was it that we lived previous lives?? o_O:eek::p
A little off first model topic, I had dozens of these. I actually remember the below issue from the picture. I really loved reading them.

Commando.jpg

In Wiki they are described as; Commando For Action and Adventure, formerly known as Commando War Stories in Pictures, and colloquially known as Commando Comics, is a British comic book magazine that primarily draws its themes and backdrops from the various incidents of the First and Second World Wars. It was first published in July 1961 and is still in print today. It is noted for its distinctive 7 × 5½ inch, 68 page format that became a standard for these kinds of stories. "Commando" has remained more popular than many other British war comics, because of its character based stories and detailed black and white artwork, with only the covers in colour.

The stories contain certain characteristic motifs; to mention a few – courage, cowardice, patriotism, dying for the sake of one's country, noble actions, and making a cup of refreshing tea while in the face of danger, enmity turning into friendship when the going gets tough, and so on. Apart from portraying these universal qualities, Commando Comics also show soldiers in national stereotypes, glorifying Allied soldiers, but showing soldiers as a mixture of good and evil.

Anyone else remember these?

Rico

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
Found this book a little while back in a second hand book store ... all the cover art from similar range to the Commando books... Battle and War Picture library .... didn’t know that it was mainly Italian and Spanish artists who did all the cover artworks. Some amazing stuff there.

62E5F92E-C804-434C-A084-16F4E47A2828.jpeg
3CD96F10-CC08-4D4A-88E1-FD7012AF64CC.jpeg

Last edited: