Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What was the first model kit you ever built?

Mine was a Lancaster, night bomber version. I must of been around 9 or 10, my dad helped me make it. I had it for many years, I think it was still in my parents attic when I left home.

Lancaster Bomber (2).jpg

God, flashbacks to life before the internet. Isn't it weird? As a little kid, it was playing outside. As a young teen, one of my pursuits was models. I think my first was a biplane!
Isn't it strange how some of us became interested in historical wars at an early age? Just a boy's natural tendency for action and adventure? Or was it that we lived previous lives?? o_O:eek::p

0Z5LoAn.jpg

The 1:72 version from the 1960's.
Liked the above picture, guess it would looked like this looking down from my ceiling...

God, flashbacks to life before the internet. Isn't it weird? As a little kid, it was playing outside. As a young teen, one of my pursuits was models. I think my first was a biplane!
Isn't it strange how some of us became interested in historical wars at an early age? Just a boy's natural tendency for action and adventure? Or was it that we lived previous lives?? o_O:eek::p

A little off first model topic, I had dozens of these. I actually remember the below issue from the picture. I really loved reading them.

Commando.jpg

In Wiki they are described as; Commando For Action and Adventure, formerly known as Commando War Stories in Pictures, and colloquially known as Commando Comics, is a British comic book magazine that primarily draws its themes and backdrops from the various incidents of the First and Second World Wars. It was first published in July 1961 and is still in print today. It is noted for its distinctive 7 × 5½ inch, 68 page format that became a standard for these kinds of stories. "Commando" has remained more popular than many other British war comics, because of its character based stories and detailed black and white artwork, with only the covers in colour.

The stories contain certain characteristic motifs; to mention a few – courage, cowardice, patriotism, dying for the sake of one's country, noble actions, and making a cup of refreshing tea while in the face of danger, enmity turning into friendship when the going gets tough, and so on. Apart from portraying these universal qualities, Commando Comics also show soldiers in national stereotypes, glorifying Allied soldiers, but showing soldiers as a mixture of good and evil.

Anyone else remember these?

Found this book a little while back in a second hand book store ... all the cover art from similar range to the Commando books... Battle and War Picture library .... didn’t know that it was mainly Italian and Spanish artists who did all the cover artworks. Some amazing stuff there.

62E5F92E-C804-434C-A084-16F4E47A2828.jpeg
3CD96F10-CC08-4D4A-88E1-FD7012AF64CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back