Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Which open top Self Propelled Gun would you buy?

Which would you buy?

• 88mm Nashorn

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 75mm Marder

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 150mm Hummel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105mm Wespe

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 150mm Grille

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For anti-tank work I voted Marder because in typical countryside it's smaller and nimbler, but in wide open terrain I'd take the Nash to hit enemy tanks at extreme long range.

For serious anti-infantry work the Humm or Grille are best because they fire 150mm HE shells

A Horde of Marders can sometimes surprise an opponent... Properly and carefully handled, they can excel at Anti tank work...

That's usually the only open topped vehicle I would ever consider buying, except of course half-tracks...

M10 and M8 but if you mean SP gun without a turret - I like marders especialy for early African combats :)

so I vote for marder - cheap, fast fast shooting and with good effective gun (early war)

Marder is the SP Gun of my choice.
Good AT capability,can support infantry with HE shells ,even though ammo load somehow limited,cheap and with good mobility.

The Hummel and Grille's 150mm shells take forever to reload, meanwhile the enemy tanks are shooting back and going through their weak armour like butter.
The Wespe's 105mm shell loads slightly quicker but it too soon gets shot to pieces.
All three get a few powerful Hollow Charge shells (if they're lucky) but the trouble is their guns low muzzle velocities means they can't usually hit anything except at shorter ranges.
All that's why the Germans never used them for serious anti-tank work and developed the Marder instead.
The Nashorn sounds good on paper but its 88mm shell reloads slower than the Marder, also it's bigger and easier to hit by return fire, so i'll take Marders thank you very much because they're dirt cheap and can carve up Shermans and T-34's dead easy.

The Hummel, Grille and Wespe were never meant for tank battles and I don't use them in that role. I use them to supplement my armor to tackle the inevitable infantry strong points. Lets face it, the HE burst of a Panther or a Mark IV is not that significant. But one or two rounds from a Grille will put the best infantry on the run.
Lord Bane

Yeah maybe tankhunters (Marder and Nash) and non-tankhunters (Humm/Gril/Wesp) should have had separate polls instead of being lumped together

One thing that's nice about a Marder III is that it has a 50mm front. When you get used to your German SP's getting picked off by small bore, unspottable guns, its nice to see shells bounce off it for a change. It will even bounce a 76.2 at extreme range I'm sure.

I would say the Grille takes the cake. I find a thin-skinned tank hunter is only useful in a very few situations. Whereas a mobile 150mm-chucker is never lacking for targets.

If i had to choose between a Hummel and a grille...I guess i would pick the Hummel they have the larger blast ...a 303 blast to a Grilles 248 blast...Unless i am mistaken

First on my list would be the Marder: its AT capability is enough against almost any allied tank and its cheap.
Second would be the Grille. Enormous HE and cheap. Not to be used in a AT role beside area firing an allied tank !

The Nashorn has a big gun, but that is only an advantage when the LOS is very long. But the Nashorn can just as easily be KO-ed as it can KO an allied tank.

Due to this thread, I've been working on a small scenario based off the Nashorn - 43' >> end of the Kursk campaign. Dug in Nashorns on an advantageous position against a bunch of T-34's and IS' in a fields of grain, and AT terrain!...

Back