Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Why Are There Clocks on the Superstructure of Battleships?

I also watched that video just the other day and also never knew about those clocks.

Another fun fact was that each ship apparently used different colours in their shells (to be able to know which ship had fired the shells that found the range), so if you imagine all the battleships in a line opening up with their multicoloured high explosives, the target would have been engulfed in a rainbow of colours like something out of Sargeant Pepper.

Last edited:
Never heard of the range clock on a warship?
zrQjCxv.jpg
Where have you been, living under a rock? Also, a good explanation of colored dye usage for ranging is in any book on the Battle of Leyte Gulf. There are many accounts from US sailors describing the different color shell splashes from the Japanese gun salvoes. You might read Hornfischer's Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors for some of those recollections.

Never heard of the range clock on a warship? Where have you been, living under a rock?
Nah, just never been that interested in WW2 naval warfare. Seemed too one-sided for me. The Germans and Japanese got beaten so quickly and decisively it didn't seem like much of a fight.

It was exciting though. The Guadacanal battles were something indeed.
Japanese did a good job of it there.
"Neptune's Inferno" is an absolute must read. You can get it on Amazon here:

It was exciting though. The Guadacanal battles were something indeed.
Japanese did a good job of it there.
"Neptune's Inferno" is an absolute must read. You can get it on Amazon here:
mTk is correct. I have read a lot about the naval warfare in and around Guadalcanal and Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfischer is IMO the best of the many that cover that theater. Hornfischer is just a very special writer and really conveys the ferocity of the combat in and around "The Slot" and Guadalcanal. Truth is, the Pacific naval and to some extent, the air war was decided in and around Guadalcanal. Any Hornfischer book is well worth your time to read, he was that great a historian and writer.l

Reactions: mTk
Nah, just never been that interested in WW2 naval warfare. Seemed too one-sided for me. The Germans and Japanese got beaten so quickly and decisively it didn't seem like much of a fight.
I think they were just about obsolete by WW2, which is why they weren't so noticeable by then?

Allow me to throw out another recommendation for Neptune's Inferno, a book I didn't even know about until I saw it mentioned in this thread

Reactions: mTk
Back