Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Windows 10

You can find more information Googling Windows 11. Guess MS is abandoning Windows 10X

Edit: Also just got a message from MS that they are holding some livestream on June 24 about the future of Windows 10, but I have no idea if it will discuss Windows 11. I'm sure anyone can view it if so inclined, or wait for reports soon after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. I figured by now they had a good groove of continuously updating what they have, a la office 365. I've been surprised they haven't moved windows to a subscription based model yet, it's all the rage these days. Can't say I'm sad about it though, I wouldn't want it. But for companies I think it could be a good model; for a monthly fee you have customer support, continuous development and improvements, etc. And accounting wise, subscriptions are much nicer then one-time license fees.

<snip>I've been surprised they haven't moved windows to a subscription based model yet, it's all the rage these days. Can't say I'm sad about it though, I wouldn't want it.<snip>
Oh man I hope they don't do that. I have no trouble paying a subscription fee for something that requires actual resources on the part of the company to run - like web hosting or file sharing but apps that run on my desktop I cannot stand dealing with subscriptions.

Oh man I hope they don't do that. I have no trouble paying a subscription fee for something that requires actual resources on the part of the company to run - like web hosting or file sharing but apps that run on my desktop I cannot stand dealing with subscriptions.
Fully agree, but I have been half expecting it...

Didn't they implement a subscription fee for Office and then abandoned it? Maybe that learned them a lesson not to do it with Win11.

Didn't they implement a subscription fee for Office and then abandoned it? Maybe that learned them a lesson not to do it with Win11.
The subscription fee for Office is an enourmous sucess in the business market. I suspect they will do this for business windows licenses too somehow.

It has everything to do with flexibility, simplicity and accounting. For instance, for accounting purposes a monthly cost is often better to have then a one-time license fee which then becomes an "asset" pressing on your balance sheet. For this same purpose often equipment is leased rather then bought, even if there is cash at hand.

From microsoft.com:

When will I be able to upgrade to Windows 11 on my Windows 10 device?

If your existing Windows 10 PC is running the most current version of Windows 10 and meets the minimum hardware specifications it will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. The upgrade rollout plan is still being finalized, but for most devices already in use today, we expect it to be ready sometime in early 2022. Not all Windows 10 PCs that are eligible to upgrade to Windows 11 will be offered to upgrade at the same time. To see if your PC is eligible to upgrade, download and run the PC Health Check app. Once the upgrade rollout has started, you can check if it is ready for your device by going to Settings/Windows Updates.

How much does a PC with Windows 11 cost?

It depends! Many different manufacturers will offer a variety of devices that will run Windows 11, all at different price points.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Watched 2 YouTube Linus Tech Tips videos on Windows 11: Gaming on a LEAKED Windows 11 install, and WHY did I get my hopes up? - Windows 11 announcement. Both are under 15 minutes, interesting, and the 2nd one I mentioned, the one about the announcement, is likely better than the announcement itself.

The one key detail, much like @Gunner mentioned above, the price should be free to Windows 10 users, assuming your system meets the hardware requirements.

Also, a lot of it looks superficial, and tries to copy Mac OS, but there are some potential gaming benefits like direct storage which should speed up game/HD access times. And from what Linus tested, it ran Windows 10 games without hitch, so unless CM does some arcane things, chances are it will run fine.

Yeah, everyone. Thankfully with all MS's faults, compatibility for older apps on new OSs has not been one of them.
Not exactly 100% true. I loaded "Crimson Skies", which was developed by Microsoft and I have still yet to get it to run on my Win 10 machine. Sooo, I loaded it on Win 7 machine and nope, that was a NO-GO. But alas, from the bottom of my closet, what should appear, but a laptop bag with my trusty old Dell running XP. I might be giving that a go shortly...LOL

Last edited:
Back