Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

'Zip' Millet Breaks Out

Kandu

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Going through the planning phase for my next scenario "Millet Breaks Out" or "'Zip' Millet Breaks Out". There was a lot going on during the night of June 8/9, 1944. It was not just Millet breaking out. Rarely if ever commented on in books, is the fact that it was to be a co-ordinated attempt to push the American line forward across the La Fiere causeway and anchor it on the line Timmes' Orchard - Le Motey - Cauquigny - Hameaux Flaux. Millet's breakout attempt was ordered to join Lt. Col. Timmes in the orchard and the elements crossing the Merderet River were to be the 1st Bn. 325th Glider Infantry. Unfortunately this battalion was both inexperienced and 'rattled' by an unwanted change of command at this very moment leaving it in an uncertain mood. The battalion crossed the Merdert over the sunken (i.e. flooded) road discovered by Timmes' scouts the day before. The map attached summarizes the events. Millet himself and 200 of his men were killed or captured west of the Amfreville - Gourbesville road. The other 200+ under Capt. Taylor somehow made it to Timmes. The 325th GIR attacked but failed to capture Le Motey and Cauquigny and was stopped just short of Hameau Flaux. A strong German counter-attack drove them back and they retired back across the Merderet in some disorder instead of digging in. There was some skirmishing at the Grey Castle. Some sources say the Grey castle was attacked by one of the 325th companies but this was not one of the three assigned objectives and the location of memorials in the area suggests otherwise. It is my hypothesis that any conflict with the Germans in the Grey Castle occurred during the 325th's withdrawal.

It should be noted, and can be seen from the map below, that opposing forces were roughly equal at two battalions per side. Numbers slightly favoured the Americans, but the defensive positions and ability to ambush favoured the Germans. Night hindered and favoured both sides but was more favourable to the defender.

Creating the map of the area in CMBN, walking the ground and deploying the various combatants has been extremely helpful in understanding the events.

Another deployment possibility exists which would have a significant impact on the design of this scenario and could result in modifications to two of my earlier scenarios. Some sources indicate that on June 6, 1944 the C.P. of III./1057 was at Besneville, far to the south-west of Les Landes and not in Amfreville. A move into Amfreville might have been via Picauville, south of our present map between it and my map for the scenario " Shanley on HIll 30". Given the risk of Amfreville being caught between two American battle groups, it is possible that the C.P. would simply remain in Picauville.

There were German troops in the area of Les Landes and west of it as Millet is reported as having fought his way into the area. Were these the C.P. of III./1057, the 12. schwere Kompanie, or one of its three platoons? Who knows? These possibilities would necessitate the changes indicated on the second map attached and might indeed make for a more interesting scenario - given that the player controlling Millet's force would have a better chance of breaking out to join Timmes.

And again, the mystery deepens. Above I noted that there were German units 'west' of Les Landes because "Millet is reported as having fought his way into the area", i.e. from Amfreville, approaching Les Landes from the east, and placing the blocking Germans to his west. However, some sources suggest that Millet never made it as far as Amfreville, being blocked in the area of Les Landes having approached that area from the west. This would place the blocking Germans east of Millet as per my first map.

An interesting conundrum. Now to make a decision. Given that Millet's strength at the time he first approached Amfreville was only about 1 1/2 platoon equivalents, I am going to assume that indeed, he never got as far as Amfreville and was blocked at Les Landes.

Attachments

• JUN8-9.jpg
    JUN8-9.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • JUN8-9v2.jpg
    JUN8-9v2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back