Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

1/16 Tiger II

R

ratskiss

The new child has kept me busy so I was able to let my "toy" budget to add up. I decided my Tiger I needed a friend so I purchased "Trumpetter's" 1/16 King Tiger, Henshel Turret. Now the reviews of this kit were not very good, but that's why it's called a challenge. Since I had done the RC route on Tiger I It was time to do the full interior trip.

1-2_zps484e2880.jpg

As a stay at home dad with a two year old time is difficult to find. I found I could squeeze in internet time and research time. But time to build is difficult. I started with the ammo and crew. Things I can abandon in a lerch. Ive just started on the road wheels. I have Aber upgrades as well as others. I did a small display with a figure to show and compare tiger I ammo with that of the two. I'm not that good with figurines but they do give you a good showing of the size of the tiger.

2-2_zpsb5683f4f.jpg

3-3_zps8bc106ba.jpg

I have chosen Tiger 204, grouppe Peiper in the Ardennes. There are lots of pictures of it covered in Americans.
6-1_zps937cf4ff.jpg

5-1_zpsd5adb54e.png

4-2_zpsb06b7a1f.jpg

This will be a slow thread but please enjoy.

7-1_zps1d13d54f.jpg

If anyone out there in cyber world has built this kit. I would love some suggestions or tips. The net has lots of resources which is great because the instructions are as clear as mud pigment. I may have questions.

You say you are not good with figurines...? They are looking great, man! :)

You say you are not good with figurines...? They are looking great, man! :)

Thanks shorker. I wish I could see better. I have as many magnifying glasses as there are parts in this kit.

Ya know, I have a unmade one. Might be a project for the new year.
I will still be struggling along still I bet. I'm on page four and looking at a part that has a recommendation for painting. It points to F2 and says 20 % red and 80 % red brown. That's it, not where to that paint red or such. At least there are lots of pictures of other folks kits to look at on the net.

So this is why I started with the crew. After spending good bucks on a new air brush, I have decided to build Tiger 314. It also has zimerette (sp?) . I'll post some progress soon.

9-1_zpsf9bf9793.png

10-2_zps4341e02f.jpg

11-3_zps5849609f.jpg

12-1_zpsef4334af.jpg

This is it so far. I'm building the interior from the kit. All my photo etch detail is for the exterior. Colour is tough. the kit instructions are useless for this. The information on the net is very diverse depending on the post. The parts of this kit fit as well as OJ Simpsons gloves. I sand and fill more than anything. Are all Truppetter kits this bad? This is my first. Yes that is a baby monitor in the background.

I have been building in order of the instructions and painting as I go along. It seems to be better this way though some folks paint after the build I don't know how they do it. I think I will have to weather as I build as well.

I have the archer decal set for interior signs, but no idea where most go. If any one knows or can send me a link to interior decal locations I'd appreciate it.

I did a few more troops to pose with the cat when its finished. Here they stand in front of my Tiger I. I do love this 1/16 scale. Old man eye size.

13-1_zpsbf2383a2.jpg

ratskiss you do take this to another level..keep up the good work.

I had to take a break from the Tiger so I went through the parts box and did another mod for my Parrot AR drone. The "Steampunk" version.

How much does this modding effect the balance?

I would love to see a drone with the ability to shoot down other drones ...especially these little ones.

How much does this modding effect the balance?

I would love to see a drone with the ability to shoot down other drones ...especially these little ones.

It does not fly as well for sure but it does fly. The mod was for display and a bit of humour. As for the shoot down ability, there are games for the Parrot drone that do just that. The view you see on the iPod/iPad screen has all the trappings of a good video game except you fight with other drones. The drone will lock on to other drones or even special hats worn by humans which one can stalk. Pretty cool in HD.

I had a chance to work on the Tiger over the holiday. I just finished up the transmission assembly. The parts are still wet,and covered with wash. As per the rest of the kit, it is not accurate, I had to add and scratch build some parts. I hope I'm close enough at least to impress my beer drinking buds. When I tried to dry fit it into the hull though It would not go. I will have a bit of work to get it in when it's time. I may have to crowbar it in. A good thing about the kit is that it builds as components. Engine, transmission, hull, and turret. I only had to take out what I needed, It saves space. The parts for the tranny were on one or two sprues. The transmission was assembled then painted. I also weathered this part. I'm torn with this as I enjoy the weathering process, other than mud and dirt, I don't think KT's were around long enough to be badly weathered on the inside . If any one has any thoughts on this? I did mine a bit worn with the look of spilt oil on parts. I still have to add a layer of dust.

It is interesting to see the King tiger had tilt steering. I wonder if like my Audi the door knobs and handles were crap?

16_zpsd7f03ca9.jpg

17_zpsd008da6d.jpg

14_zpsb33a2d8c.jpg

15_zps6996cd17.jpg

It is so good I looked for the gaskets between the final drives and tranny.

nice

Rommel-out

Back