Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

American Miscellaneous

Awesome war effort, 1941.
immg]

Reactions: mTk
The Liberty ship SS Robert Rowan explodes after being attacked by a German bomber Ju-88 off the coast of Gela, Sicily on July 11, 1943. All 421 men on board safely evacuated the ship and were picked up by PT boats and transferred to nearby destroyers.
5C1e8Wk.jpg

Actor Spencer Tracy (1900/1967) is presented with a model submarine while visiting with officers and crew of the USS Icefish (SS-367) on May 16, 1944.
fRYzU5K.jpg

This photograph was taken in the mess hall of the crews' quarters at the Navy Barracks, adjacent to Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company (Wisconsin). The Icefish, one of twenty-eight submarines built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company, had been launched Febr 20, 1944 and would be commissioned June 10, 1944. The crew was stationed in Manitowoc for training. Richard W. Peterson, Commander of the Icefish, had met Tracy in California and invited him to visit in Manitowoc.
The USS Icefish received four battle stars for WW2 service.

USS Corvina (SS-226) crewmen in moment to coffee break in torpedo room at New London submarine base, Aug 1943
On Nov 16, 1943, USS Corvina was sunk by Japanese submarine I-176 south of Truk Lagoon. No survivors. Corvina was the only American submarine to have been sunk by a Japanese submarine in the entire war.
sL4PGTc.jpg

The legendary Tony Bennett died July 21, at age 96. Really named Anthony Dominick Benedetto (born Aug 3, 1926), was drafted into the US Army in Nov 1944. As a replacement infantryman, he served across France and into Germany, and in March 1945, he joined the front line.
RIP Tony.
3AGiV0M.jpg

I take the ferry from Long Island to New London on my way up to my brothers in Rhode Island.
Across from New London on the Thames River General Dynamic still has a sub factory where sometimes you can see subs being assembled or in dry dock.
A little further up river in Groton is the U.S. Naval submarine base that has an excellent museum and where among other exhibits you can tour the USS Nautilus.

“In July of 1951, Congress authorized construction of the world’s first nuclear powered submarine. On December 12th of that year, the Navy Department announced that she would be the sixth ship of the fleet to bear the name NAUTILUS. Her keel was laid by President Harry S. Truman at the Electric Boat Shipyard in Groton, Connecticut on June 14, 1952.”

zfvmOlH.png

mmQEtaE.png

Looking around I found a site with the above picture and the caption:

"TARGETS FOR DIVE BOMBERS, 1/5/41 ST. LOUIS, MO. – Armored gasoline powered target boats tied up in St. Louis, enroute from Great Lakes Training Station to join naval units in Gulf of Mexico. Black stripe down center of boats are bulls eyes for dive bombers which use the boats as live targets during practice. Although planes use Non penetrating bombs operators of targets have feeling of mouse waiting for cat to pounce. Credit: OWI Radiophoto from ACME;"

It's a site from of all places The Little Rock (Arkansas) Parks and Recreation site.

There are quite a few of unique pictures of “Louis Posting Quality" there. ;)

Check it out:

US Army OPFOR German unit, Fort Knox, 1943
OPFOR (Opposing force), a military unit tasked with representing an enemy for training purposes.
CxCr26M.jpg

cupC77b.jpg
Haha, they even used Hitler's father's name on their sign.

Interesting this...
"Armored gasoline powered target boats for dive bombers, 1941".
d83fAKG.jpg
How would you like that duty?
They look sort of similar to the Ukrainian "sea baby" drone boats.

Back