Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Australia's Pearl Harbor

Just when I think I kind of know most of the major events of WWII I find out....I don't.
I knew nothing of this attack. Now I do.
----
I think you never heard about this (me either) because it wasn't really a major event that had long term consequences.

It sounds like Darwin was barely defended. The Allies lost 30 aircraft, 11 (mostly civilian) ships, and 7 oil storage units. Not huge in the big scheme of WW2. Of course, for the 200 people who died and their families.....the day will certainly live in infamy. And Australians may remember it as the first time the mainland was attacked.

Still, WW2 is full of small skirmishes and battles that are fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

There was a movie called "Australia" awhile back that touched on the attack on Darwin.
I did a quick search for more information and found an interesting documentary that was made 10 years ago.

"The Bombing of Darwin: An Awkward Truth"
You can find it on Curiosity Stream. It's a couple of bucks a month or you may be able to get the subscription or DVD through your library.

Back