Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

BATTLEFIELD ACADEMY

My reviewing style is to simply list the things I like about games, and list the things I don't like, then leave it to people to form their own opinions..:)

I agree with Rico. And I think they actually made it exactly for that - let's hope a few of those getting into wargaming stop at CM next... :)

Crazy idea: What if some of us bought that game and we advertised it so people might join for that game? We could then interest them in wargames in general and afterwards draw them to CM. I know it sounds crazy but it might actually work...

..What if some of us bought that game and we advertised it so people might join for that game? We could then interest them in wargames in general and afterwards draw them to CM..

At the moment there are no Battlefield Academy players at FGM because we all prefer CM, but if you want to buy BA and draw people to CM, go ahead..:)

(PS- Slitherine just brought out the first patch for BA, so it could be a while (months?) before the final version is out, just like other games)

The Battlefield Academy manual is refreshingly only 15 pages long, here are 6 pages-

BA-man1.jpg

BA-man2.jpg

BA-man3.jpg

At the moment there are no Battlefield Academy players at FGM because we all prefer CM, but if you want to buy BA and draw people to CM, go ahead..:)

It really was a crazy idea. very unlikely that I'm gonna buy this game - too much on my hands already. But it still might serve as introduction to more... serious games.

I don't mind the cartoonish look to it, and it seems they are trying to be as accurate as possible. The big drawback to me is the turn-based aspect. After years of CM, I'm afraid I will find it hard to go back to any turn based game.

..The big drawback to me is the turn-based aspect. After years of CM, I'm afraid I will find it hard to go back to any turn based game.

I like simultaneous (eg CM), AND turn-based (eg Steel P, BA etc)..:)
The attraction of turn-based is that it has a brutal aspect to it, as each player takes turns to swing a punch hoping for the knockout blow.

Okay i can't think of much more to say about BA, so to sum up i'd say it rates about 5 on the complexity scale, a nice easy-to-play job, not too simple, not too complex.
(For comparison I'd rate the old Panzer General about 4, Steel Panthers about 6, and Combat Mission about 7).

BA has only been released a few days and already the first patch is out, to their credit the designer is listening and talking to people in the BA forum and is taking feedback on board-
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=87

Once the tiny glitches are ironed out I can see BA becoming a big seller among the majority of wargamers, although old fart 'serious' gamers might be put off by the slightly cartoony graphics.

Personally I only have 2 real gripes-
1- The map view system isn't flexible enough because you can't elevate the view to look towards the horizon, meaning that in 3D view your eyes are fixed at 45 degrees looking down at the ground all the time.
2- A couple more zoomout levels are needed in the game because at the moment you can't zoom out far enough to see the whole map, so you have the hassle of scrolling around.

1 and 2 therefore give me the very uncomfortable feeling of playing with blinkered 'tunnel vision', so for that reason I myself am regrettably out as far as being a loyal BA disciple is concerned..

EDIT- Version 1.3.5 has just added an unlimited zoom option

Version 1.3.5 UPDATE
Okay this update gives us a bunch of tweaks, notably there's now an excellent unlimited zoom option which lets us see the whole battlefield.(Below)
(Note the lit area is what your units can currently see; the dark area will light up when they move into it)

BA-unlimzoom.gif

Just released:- Battlefield Academy BLITZKRIEG FRANCE 1940 add-on pack

Screenshot from site- A French Breguet 690 strafes a German column (yes french kites really were painted in flashy colours)

Breguet690.jpg

Quote from Matrix website-
"25 New Units & 28 modified units with new camouflage patterns and stats to represent the war in 1940:
Panzer II German Light Tank, Sturmpanzer German SP Gun, French Infantry, French LMG, Matilda I British Light Tank, Renault FT17 French Light Tank, Char Bis French Heavy Tank, R35 French Medium Tank, Somua 35 French Heavy Tank, French 25mm AT Gun, French Lorry, French Mortar, French Engineer, French Hotchkiss MG, Corps Francs, British Boyes AT Rifle, Sau 40 French SP Gun, Sdkfz 251/10/4 German Halftrack, Berliet VPH Mobile AA, French Scout, Lorraine 38 APC, Panzerjager I, German Panzerbusche AT Rifle, Panhard P178 French Armoured Car, Schneider P16 French Armoured Car"

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/729/Battlefield.Academy.Gets.a.Brand.New.Add-On.Pack

Hmm..I can't see any tough-cookie Matilda II's in that list (sniffle)..

Congrats to Matrix/Slitherine for bringing out this France 40 addon just a couple of months after Battlefield Academy was released!
We Combat Mission players have been waiting 9 years for one from Battlefront..;)

So what's your current verdict on the game? Is it a game we hardcore CM players would enjoy?

The BA graphics are a bit 'toytown' which puts many serious wargamers off, including me.
The gameplay is simpler than CM and that might put serious players off too.
And I don't like the way the 3D viewing angle is permanently fixed looking obliquely downwards at 45 degrees, it drove me bananas not being able to look up towards the horizon.
I think the people who'd like the game would be mostly in the 14 to 18 year-old group, there's a lot of them out there so it should sell well..:)

Thanks guys. Have downloaded the demo. Will run it tonight and have a look myself.

Back