Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Book Suggestion

Perhaps you've read these ones already, but here are a few I like:
- Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Joe Picket series by C.J. Box
- Jack Reacher series by Lee Child
- books by Andy McNab (Nick Stone series)

Perhaps not all higher literature but very entertaining.

Perhaps you've read these ones already, but here are a few I like:
- Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Joe Picket series by C.J. Box
- Jack Reacher series by Lee Child
- books by Andy McNab (Nick Stone series)

Perhaps not all higher literature but very entertaining.
Yes i have done some of Andy McNab......Will look at the others Thank you

I really enjoyed these Conn Iggulden is the author of the best-selling 'Emperor' and 'Conqueror' historical fiction series

Ones based on Caesers life the other Genghis Khan based on historical fact told like a novel 5 books in each

- "Fatherland" by Roberrt Harris
- "Hagakure" by probably Tsunetomo Yamamoto (the "bible" of the Budo and a collection of episodes, lessons, anecdotes and records - a guide for Samurais)
- "Odyssee" by Homer
- almost all of Paul Doherty´s (aka Paul Harding, aka Micheal Clynes, aka Celia L. Grace, aka Anna Apostolou, aka Ann Dukthas, aka P.C. Doherty)
- "08/15" by Hans Helmut Kirst (WW2 novels trilogy)
- all of Harry ThĂĽrk (no matter if his asia detective stories, the war novels, in which he cope with his own WW2 experiences, or all the other stuff he wrote)
- "Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ;)
- "A short history of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson
- "Feuer und Schwert" (Fire and Sword), "Im Sturm" by Igor Sentjurc (not sure how it is right translated since at isn´t totally clear if an "assault" is meant or a "storm")
- all Terry Pratchett stuff
- "Gereon Rath Series" by Volker Kutscher ("Der nasse Fisch/The Wet Fish", "Der stumme Tod/The mute Death", "Goldstein", "Die Akte Vaterland/The Fatherland File" and the currently last "Märzgefallene/The Fallen of March")
- most of the stuff of David Baldacci, especially "The Camel Club"

That for a start! If You want more - let me know!

Greetings :)

- "Fatherland" by Roberrt Harris
- "Hagakure" by probably Tsunetomo Yamamoto (the "bible" of the Budo and a collection of episodes, lessons, anecdotes and records - a guide for Samurais)
- "Odyssee" by Homer
- almost all of Paul Doherty´s (aka Paul Harding, aka Micheal Clynes, aka Celia L. Grace, aka Anna Apostolou, aka Ann Dukthas, aka P.C. Doherty)
- "08/15" by Hans Helmut Kirst (WW2 novels trilogy)
- all of Harry ThĂĽrk (no matter if his asia detective stories, the war novels, in which he cope with his own WW2 experiences, or all the other stuff he wrote)
- "Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ;)
- "A short history of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson
- "Feuer und Schwert" (Fire and Sword), "Im Sturm" by Igor Sentjurc (not sure how it is right translated since at isn´t totally clear if an "assault" is meant or a "storm")
- all Terry Pratchett stuff
- "Gereon Rath Series" by Volker Kutscher ("Der nasse Fisch/The Wet Fish", "Der stumme Tod/The mute Death", "Goldstein", "Die Akte Vaterland/The Fatherland File" and the currently last "Märzgefallene/The Fallen of March")
- most of the stuff of David Baldacci, especially "The Camel Club"

That for a start! If You want more - let me know!

Greetings :)
Ralf...plenty there to look into mate....Thank you

I really enjoyed these Conn Iggulden is the author of the best-selling 'Emperor' and 'Conqueror' historical fiction series

Ones based on Caesers life the other Genghis Khan based on historical fact told like a novel 5 books in each
Thank you Crocky, must say i am not to into Historical events...will look at them though

Thank you Crocky, must say i am not to into Historical events...will look at them though

They dont read at all like pure history rather a good story found myself churning thru the five books in no time at all

Here are a few:

Anything by Zane Grey. He's an early 20th century American writer that wrote stories set in the American west. Excellent books. His writing style is very descriptive.

C.S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength). Definitely my favorite work of fiction by C.S. Lewis. The second book, Perelandra, is probably the most sublime novel I've read.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. While the books are set during the early 19th Century in and out of the Royal Navy (you have to read them to find out what I mean by that :p), what makes the stories so good is that O'Brian crafts a tale that incorporates the different categories of conflict: man vs God/fate, man vs nature, man vs man/woman, man vs society and man vs himself, oftentimes all within the same book.

I second Sempai's recommendation of Sherlock Holmes if you've never read them. Great mysteries. I bought the two volume complete series and tore through it. Couldn't put the books down.

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John Le Carre

Here are a few:

Anything by Zane Grey. He's an early 20th century American writer that wrote stories set in the American west. Excellent books. His writing style is very descriptive.

C.S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength). Definitely my favorite work of fiction by C.S. Lewis. The second book, Perelandra, is probably the most sublime novel I've read.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. While the books are set during the early 19th Century in and out of the Royal Navy (you have to read them to find out what I mean by that :p), what makes the stories so good is that O'Brian crafts a tale that incorporates the different categories of conflict: man vs God/fate, man vs nature, man vs man/woman, man vs society and man vs himself, oftentimes all within the same book.

I second Sempai's recommendation of Sherlock Holmes if you've never read them. Great mysteries. I bought the two volume complete series and tore through it. Couldn't put the books down.

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John Le Carre
Thank you Mate some good suggestions there

+1 to the Patrick O'Brian 'Jack Aubrey' series.

Also try some of C.S.Forester's novels "The Ship", The Gun", "The General", "Death to the French", or "Brown on Resolution".

George MacDonald Fraser's 'Flashman' series (well researched, never dull and it's as enjoyable reading the footnotes as it is reading the novels themselves).

"Little Big Man" by Thomas Berger, a novel about a 100 year old man remembering how he survived the battle of the Little Big Horn.

"Red Sabbath" by Robert Kershaw, "A Terrible Glory" by James Donovan or "The Last Stand " by Nathaniel Philbrick, all factual books about the same battle. Battlefield research in the last thirty years has included matching shell cases and bullets to the weapons that fired them. From that you can identify the positions where a particular weapon was fired on the battlefield and get a clearer view about the final troop movements.

I'd also recommend any of Frederick Forsyth's books or Le Carre; not mysteries per se but excellent thrillers with no guarantee of happy endings. You spend much of the time trying to 2nd guess the author.

(OTOH I'm strange so my opinions on most things should be taken with a <large> pinch of salt)

Back