Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Commander - The Great War

Two screenshots from my Campaign as Entente against @Alpha Zwo ... it's late 1916 and the Entente powers are anxious to crush the Central Powers before winter sets in ... doesn't look likely at this point.
(winter fighting exhausts armies very quickly in this game and casualties increase dramatically)

Ottoman Turkey just sued for peace and we accepted their surrender ... so that'll free up substantial British forces -- it'll just take ages to get them to the European theatre.

Below ... after the fall of Budapest a few months back, the siege of Vienna by British, Italian and Russian forces continues ... it's becoming an epic struggle as the small garrison has now resisted three attacks supported by heavy artillery and even french bombers.
Italian forces also managed to batter their way across the alps and western Austria as far as outskirts of Munich.

On the Western Front the German lines may be at last crumbling ... with Haig's BEF knocking on the door of the Ruhr and combined Belgian and French armies rupturing the centre -- it's not easy going, as the remaining German armies are able of quite painful counter attack on the advancing armies.

Eventually @Alpha Zwo 's Central Powers were utterly vanquished as in February 1917, Czarist Russian Cossacks clattered through the streets of Berlin ...

As Central Powers vs @Aulette we just had good news that after severe fighting on the Eastern Front, revolution has broken out in Russia and the Czar has abdicated in late 1915.
Bulgaria joined the Central Powers just in time as British, French and Italian forces launched a series of amphibious assaults on Turkey ... Bulgaria help has allowed for Serbia to finally be crushed and opened up the railways to move much-needed Austrian troops to assist Turkey.
In bloody fighting one of the landing beachheads has been destroyed, Galllipoli is besieged by French and British armies, while relief forces batter their way forward.
Still stalemate on the Western Front ... with most British efforts directed to the Middle East.
British submarines caused a bit of havoc to German Baltic trade shipping -- but they have been beaten back for the moment -- time for the U-boats to strike back (but too much U-boat action in the Atlantic might just bring in the Americans into the war)

Strategically we're on a knife edge here.

@Rico Bulgarians oportunists kicking Serbian back doors one turn before I expected and that damned Bolsheviks traitors of empire in 1915 saved the day in gallipoli, Now we are on a extreme knife edge from war changing warfare from a series of assaults and counter assaults with massed artillery, to the control of the air and other experimental toys coming arise !!!

Anybody still playing Commander - The Great War?

I had two PBEM campaigns on the go -- both stalled -- @Aulette has done a disappearing act and @nathangun seems to be stuck with internet connectivity problems.

It's a great strategic game - -simple to learn, hard to master the strategy and gives great sense of what fighting WW1 was all about.

PS: Really wish they'd develop a WW2 version using this engine :rolleyes:

Great campaign back on track as Entente Allies ... looking increasingly tough for the Kaiser @nathangun in Sept 1915 -- his fleet decimated, Baltic trade blockaded by British and Russian subs ... Brussels liberated, Franco-Italian armies threating to cross the Alps, Russians pounding away at the Austrians and Turkish Suez front about to get interesting... on plus side for Central Powers is that Bulgaria's now in the war and Serbia's about to collapse. :)

Managed to defeat @nathangun 's Central Powers, just as Allied tanks came into play and we managed to ross the Rhine and capture the Ruhr, while a last gasp German/Austrian/Bulgarian offensive nearly brought Russia to its knees, losing most of the Ukraine

... and we've just kicked off another campaign with the latest patch which has added a few more toys and refinements to the start up arsenals.

@Aulette has disappeared off the face of the gaming planet -- so looking for another opponent to keep a campaign ticking over... Allies or Central Powers, I'll play either.

Still the best easy-to-play strategic game out there ... just wish they'd use this one as a base for an upgraded WW2 game already. :rolleyes:

@Rico

I just got the game and I'm still learning it, but if you're up to a multiplayer campaign, I guess I can learn fastest by playing against a human opponent.
So how about playing a 1914 campaign with me as the Central Powers?

@Mad Mike

I'm up for it -- you need to register with their multiplayer interface.

Okay - challenge is posted. I'm registered as RicoFGM -- password: FGM1914

@Rico

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with my account at Slitherine and its connection to the game.
I could register my Serial to my account, but the game itself does not seem to be able to handle spaces in user names for the purpose of logging in.
My user name at Slitherine is "Mad Mike" (same as here), but Commander The Great War does only show my name as "Mad" after checking my serial. Consequently, it will then tell me that my login is incorrect. As far as I know, I can't put in my login name manually if it has recognised the Serial belongs to a certain account.

So, long story short, I will try to get this resolved, but it might take a while. Quite poor implementation on Slitherines part, unfortunately. :mad:

@Rico

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with my account at Slitherine and its connection to the game.
I could register my Serial to my account, but the game itself does not seem to be able to handle spaces in user names for the purpose of logging in.
My user name at Slitherine is "Mad Mike" (same as here), but Commander The Great War does only show my name as "Mad" after checking my serial. Consequently, it will then tell me that my login is incorrect. As far as I know, I can't put in my login name manually if it has recognised the Serial belongs to a certain account.

So, long story short, I will try to get this resolved, but it might take a while. Quite poor implementation on Slitherines part, unfortunately. :mad:

Damn, that's irritating. let me know if you can sort it out. :rolleyes:

Has anyone given this a whirl on the IPAD / IOS?

I am thinking of picking it up and trying the cross-platform multi-player option. (my modern PC is on the slow boat still)

Seems fun, judging by the posts above ....

Damn, that's irritating. let me know if you can sort it out. :rolleyes:

Rico, problems have been sorted with the help of Slitherines Tech Support. It was indeed my user name which caused the trouble in-game and they had to manually change it for me on their website.

I'm now playing as MikeMUC and have already done my first turn with Austria-Hungary. Just be gentle with me for my first game.. ;)

Rico, problems have been sorted with the help of Slitherines Tech Support. It was indeed my user name which caused the trouble in-game and they had to manually change it for me on their website.

I'm now playing as MikeMUC and have already done my first turn with Austria-Hungary. Just be gentle with me for my first game.. ;)

Excellent -- first turn is returned. Welcome to the Great War. Good luck. :)

Back