Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Conrath's Counterattack?!

B

Boomkow

I am on mission 3 and having a hell of time versus the AI. I'm not sure how, but the Haze weather setting is allowing the AI a huge unfair advantage when it comes to spotting my tanks first.

All the PzIVs and IIIs are unbuttoned and flanking the Sherman, but he keeps getting the drop on me. I even had to slow move my PzIV within yards of the closest Sherman before he would spot it and attack it. Any suggestions because I had been doing well before this.

I won the scenario with a total victory, but it felt kind of cheap since I just kept saving and trying new things. I only lost one tank in the end and it was a LoS loss through the haze and trees. I think there might be a problem with the hazy weather because I never really had this problem with snowing scenarios.

Good to hear. Yeah memory is a big hazy (pun intended) but think I gave a distraction from the villa/tree line while sneaking a tank around the left to hit it in the flank. Sherman still spotted me but it meant I got the first shot off and it hit. Probably cost me a few infantry though...

In my experience the Sherman often comes on top in terms of spotting. Maybe the hazy weather just accelerates this further.

And I would not call it unfair. Just compare the capabilities of each tanks in terms of spotting: While in a Panzer III and IV only the commander is really able to do actual spotting, in the Sherman at least 3 crewmembers (commander, gunner, loader) have the ability to watch most of their surroundings due to rotary periscopes. I call that a good advantage, especially at closer distances.

Combat Mission Fortress Italy Screenshot 2023.11.25 - 12.38.27.93.png

Combat Mission Fortress Italy Screenshot 2023.11.25 - 12.39.47.47.png

The next thing is the experience of the crews and heightened or lowered soft factors. A low or high leadership can turn out the odds quite significant.

What probably adds up here in this instance are the woods itself which makes it even harder to spot.
I havent played this mission yet but is there a reason that you have 12 tanks so close together on a seemingly even bigger map ?

The Panzer III I totally get since they lack a powerful gun to be effective at a distance but what about the Panzer IV ?

I probably would try to maneuvre accordingly and get more and better angles on the shermans. If there are to many maybe try to blind a few with smoke from the PIV canons.
Keep those tanks in pairs so that if one blows up or misses the shot/spot, the other one can step in and hopefully finishes the job.

Back