Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Dropbox alternatives for PBEM?

A

Apocal

Right now, I'm located in China and can't access Dropbox. Are there any established alternatives used around these parts?

Right now, I'm located in China and can't access Dropbox. Are there any established alternatives used around these parts?
@Apocal,
Dropbox is preferred for two (2) reasons.
  1. It resolves exchanging the multi-megabyte CM "ema" files which often become to large for attaching to emails.
  2. It supports CMHelper which is a very convenient app for automating and managing H2H matches.
What file sharing tools can you access? Do those tools support non-Chinese users?

You and your opponents could use a common file share tool to manually upload and download "ema" files after each game turn creates them in the "Outgoing Email" folder manually. Then you and your opponents would need to email each other the notifications when turns are ready for you to move to your "Incoming Email" folder manually. Then you play the turn and repeat the process.

Because CMHelper and Dropbox automate much of this, you and your opponents would need to communicate diligently and clearly in any matches you might be able to arrange. Good luck and good gaming!

Last edited:
Actually, exchanging files via email is not really a problem. If you recall we only started using DB because at the time the files were too large for email. However, it didn't take gmail, yahoo, et al. very long before they increased their capacity so that using email was a viable way to play CM again. It has been for a long time.
I personally much prefer to use email so I can add some pictures and text to file transmissions. I know I'm a lone voice in the woods about this because I've brought up my objections to having to use DB before and been ignored. Pretty sure that will happen again. However, if we play a CM game and you'd prefer to use email...I'm your guy.
If you have a lot of games going at one time and need help keeping them organized (and can make CMHelper work), well that's a different story altogether.

Thanks.

Actually, exchanging files via email is not really a problem. If you recall we only started using DB because at the time the files were too large for email. However, it didn't take gmail, yahoo, et al. very long before they increased their capacity so that using email was a viable way to play CM again. It has been for a long time.
I personally much prefer to use email so I can add some pictures and text to file transmissions. I know I'm a lone voice in the woods about this because I've brought up my objections to having to use DB before and been ignored. Pretty sure that will happen again. However, if we play a CM game and you'd prefer to use email...I'm your guy.
If you have a lot of games going at one time and need help keeping them organized (and can make CMHelper work), well that's a different story altogether.

I think I'll take you up on that offer. I have CMRT, CMFB, CMFI (no GL) and CMBS all patched up to version four.

Back