Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fibre Optic Internet

The Spectrum (copper) numbers aren't bad, but the Brightspeed (fibre) numbers are far better. I opted for the (up to) 940 Mbps option.

Brightspeed technician is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

M.G.

Fiber Optic internet installed today. These are my new numbers:

BrightTest.png

I paid for 900 mbps, and am getting ~550 depending on when I test. I'll take it.

Interestingly, my upload is now faster than my download. This was never the case with cable (copper) internet.

Since I’ve lived at my current address the best speed I could get was 2.6 mps via a phone line. Last year an optic cable was run and now I have 100 mps inbound and outbound. I could get faster for more money but this serves our purpose.
$44.95 monthly

Since I’ve lived at my current address the best speed I could get was 2.6 mps via a phone line. Last year an optic cable was run and now I have 100 mps inbound and outbound. I could get faster for more money but this serves our purpose.
$44.95 monthly

I'm paying $79/month for my new fiber. I'm sure they will increase the price once they corner the market.

100 up/down is a solid number, @Buckykatt. Far better than the Aussies get, I imagine. :)

I pay for a 1.25g line and these are my numbers at a very low traffic time. I’m on Comcast and there’s a coaxial cable as big as my thumb piping data to my house. I’m 880 feet from the road and it was hell getting the line dragged out here. I’m not unhappy. I was on DSL before and it feels like dial up compared to this.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.png
    IMG_0196.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm paying $79/month for my new fiber. I'm sure they will increase the price once they corner the market.

100 up/down is a solid number, @Buckykatt. Far better than the Aussies get, I imagine. :)

:LOL:

Whut is yawl boys smokin' up thayure in them mountains? I been on fibre optic for the last 10 years.

Your speeds might be faster not sure, I think I got some stuff about options for faster speeds recently. I have always suspected that its been deliberately throttled here, even when I first went on it 10 years ago.

EDIT: I can see 1000Mbps for $AUD129 which is about USD$85. Also, I got it so early here because I could use the old cable TV fibre optics that was put in years ago in certain parts of my suburb.

Last edited:
I pay for a 1.25g line and these are my numbers at a very low traffic time. I’m on Comcast and there’s a coaxial cable as big as my thumb piping data to my house. I’m 880 feet from the road and it was hell getting the line dragged out here. I’m not unhappy. I was on DSL before and it feels like dial up compared to this.

80 Mbps is quite acceptable. Should be good enough for most households.

If fibre ever comes your way, take it.

Back