Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

General Herbert Schwarzkopf, Jr. - US Army, Dec 27, 2012

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Retired Gen (four stars). Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf, who led allied forces to a routing of Iraq in the 1991 Persian Gulf War and became one of the nation's most celebrated military heroes of the era, died Thursday 27 december 2012.-

aagxj.jpg

Born in Trenton, New Jersey, in 1934, he was named H. Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. after his father.

His father, Major Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, a West Point graduate who fought in World War I, became head of New Jersey State Police, helping to build the fledgling force and eventually leading the investigation of the infamous Lindbergh baby kidnapping.-

As second lieutenant Schwarzkopf Jr. served two tours of duty in Vietnam, where he received three Silver Stars. - In 1983, he led troops during the invasion of Grenada.-

In 1988, he was promoted to General and was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Central Command. The U.S. Central Command, based at MacDill Air Force Base, in Tampa, Florida, was responsible at the time for operations in the Horn of Africa, the Middle East and South Asia.

In his capacity as commander, Schwarzkopf prepared a detailed plan for the defense of the oil fields of the Persian Gulf against a hypothetical invasion by Iraq, among other plans.

The Iraq plan served as the basis of the wargame of 1990. Within the same month, Iraq invaded Kuwait, and Schwarzkopf's plan had an immediate practical application, which was as the basis for Operation Desert Shield, the defense of Saudi Arabia. As overall commander, Schwarzkopf initially was concerned that operational forces in the theater were inadequately supplied and equipped for large-scale combat in a desert environment. During preparations for Desert Storm, as the result of initiatives by General Schwarzkopf, the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) with Desert camouflage was produced in 100% cotton poplin without reinforcement panels in order to improve comfort for U.S. troops operating in the hot, dry desert conditions.- A total of 500,000 improved cotton BDUs were ordered. However, cost concerns caused the cotton six-color Desert BDU to be discontinued shortly after the Persian Gulf War.

A few months later, General Schwarzkopf's offensive operational plan, called Operation Desert Storm (co-authored with his deputy commander, Lieutenant General Cal Waller and others on his staff), was the "left hook" strategy that went into Iraq behind the Iraqi forces occupying Kuwait and was widely credited with bringing the ground war to a close in just four days.-

England's Queen Elizabeth II made him an honorary knight, and he received a standing ovation from Congress upon his return to the USA.-

Schwarzkopf retired in August 1991, hit the lecture circuit and briefly was a military analyst for NBC.-

Schwarzkopf, who died in Tampa, Florida, is survived by his wife, Brenda, two daughters and a son.-

nydailynews.com
edition.cnn.com
wiki

Never did like him after he went in front of congress and said there were no chemicals in the first gulf war. yet i dam neared cried listening to the troops talking to congress about all the fox vehicals alarms going off at once for miles and miles. All of them were sick that went in front of congress. I'll bet his middle name was Westmoreland.
He aked his troops to die for the USA and they still are. I have heard 16,000 to 100,000 troops. dam it.

Rommel-out

While I fully understand your bitterness, they told me that the Agent Orange they sprayed on me was innocuous, he still served his country, putting his ass on the line right next to yours. And if/when you put all the political bullcrap aside, I think he still earned a salute.

Back