Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Halloween!

Halloween has slowly gained followers even in Spain. I just stick to visiting my dead and cleaning/decorating their graves. Cool festivities though.

content.php

Bah HUMBUG.... to all you colonial witch wannabees...... (Oh-Oh someone rattled his cage)

Do it the Brit way: Commemorate the joy of exquisitely torturing for information, followed by gruesomely publicly executing one of our own subjects. To make the point we engineered an annual celebration as a warning to our own people not to try and overthrow democracy so successfully we still celebrate it over 3 centuries later. (Guy Fawkes & Gunpowder plot)

Who needs supernatural warnings, we're mature enough to accept the greatest monsters are humans like us. (Yee-Ha!! I think the rant might be over)

@Meat Grinder (and others)

Yeah I enjoyed the V for Vendetta film and am aware of the Fawkes mask meme :) (Wow he's trying to sound posh here). My (rather grumpy) post was more in relation to my dislike of supernatural/horror/superstition/spiritual monsters to provoke terror/amusement/commercial success. Scooby Doo has it right the mosters are humans and their disregard for other humans. We don't need anything else to disgust/horrify us normal humans are bad enough (In fact often worse than many people could imagine).

My view of Halloween is that it is
1. A retail exercise designed to squeeze money out of the peasantry.
2. A mythic disguise to entertain humans and thereby deflect blame into "monsters" for all the bad in the world.
(rather than looking humanity full in the face and confronting ourselves)
3. Fun for kids, but Guy Fawkes and Bonfire night is more valuable because once you dig past the fun there is a serious point (i.e. Overthrowing Democracy is BAD and the punishment should be severe enough to make you pause)

OTOH I'm a grumpy, non-normal, weird human with strange tendencies so Bogg off and enjoy the commercial spending excuse children. :)

Just to balance my bah-humbug attitude I was immensely proud of my pre-teens daughter's costume for her first trick or treating last night. (no pics or other details sorry, just imagine the sympathy she deserves for having @Zinzan as a parent).

Her choice of costume was a angel - all white, glittery and huge feather wings - cute as hell and all her own creation/design. She accessorised it with a double headed battle axe!!!! :) Apparently she was the angel of death!!!

So proud, esp when she explained that it had 2 advantages, self protection and horror.

Back