Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[HOW TO] CM HELPER AND DROPBOX

V

Valkatox

Hello gents,

Over the weekend I came across two new members who were having trouble with both understanding, setting up and using the CM Helper and Dropbox. Knowing myself how difficult it was to set up and learn even when reading up on it, I decided to make video tutorial to help.

What this will teach you -

How to set up your Helper with Dropbox / How to set up the options / How to make a new Dropbox game / How to add a game to an existing Dropbox / How to add a game that another player has made / How to remove a game.

What you will need before proceeding -

A Dropbox account,
Dropbox desktop application (optional),
Combat Mission Helper.

To load Combat Mission Helper after downloading and unzipping into a folder, select the 'cmh' application.

What is....

Dropbox =
Dropbox is a service which stores folders online, when you share a folder with someone they then have access to any files you place in that dropbox folder and vice versa.

Combat Mission Helper =
CMH is a very useful tool which not only informs you when your opponent has finished their turn and that it is now your turn, but it also uploads the files from your outgoing folder into the shared Dropbox folder for your opponent, and then puts the returning file from Dropbox into your incoming folder.
It also has other useful options and extras, such as a chat system.

Please note that the '!' Icon in this video is to avoid confusion, '!' will be your computer's user name.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why thank you thats very helpful, I've also kind of noticed some of my words are slurred at some points so I'll re-do the voice over in the week using a better microphone.

I have all of my Combat Mission games installed on an external drive: H
I have CMBS, CMRT andCMSF in H:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\
My CMBN is in H:\Users\Grant\Documents\Battlefront
When I run CMHelper it tells me that CMBN is the right version and in the right folders, when I look in the edit game.
The other three games are listed in black lettering, (not grey), but when I look in the edit game, they are listed, as on my C drive. Version not known is also stated.
When I actually use the Edit game function to point at the right place for these games, the log box just runs the message (queing changes while busy...), and never finds the right location.
Please help.
I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong spot, and any help pointing me in the right direction, so I can play these titles H2H, would be immensley appreciated. Cheers from Grunter

[QUOTquote of "9e" is just me passing out, over the keyboard after too much red wine, and frustration. Sorry. gun, post: 247862, member: 1152"]I don't understand?? o_Oo_O[/QUOTE]
That quite

The edit game function is for the battle your fighting, so copy the PBEM file in the incoming folder and paste in the Drop Box location of the PBEM your playing in the edit game function.
So you are saying, that the edit game function, is not supposed to indicate where my game is installed, on my computer? It is only to indicate where my saved game files are for dropbox? It's in the same place.

Finally got CMHelper going great.
If you have a differrent installation, such as I, this might help.
In the edit game dialogue boxes, The top box is asking which folder has the save game info for your install. For me, some were where the .exe was, some were not. This where CMHelper directs dropbox to look for your PBEM games in the ingoing and outgoing email folders.
The bottom dialogue box is asking where your .exe for the game is. Not the folder it is in, but the actual .exe.
Now when I boot up CMHelper it tells me all of the right info on the screens

Where i can find H2HH for Mac? Cant find a link to downloading it.

A couple of questions -

I set up CM Helper & dropbox yesterday and have it partially working, I'm currently playing @Mike3543 on one game and @WinOrLose on another.

Problem one: The CMBN game vs Mike is mostly working, when I save in game it correctly copies to my dropbox folder which Mike can then retrieve from, however, he is unable to manually copy his save into my dropbox folder.
Do I need to set something else up on my end or does he need his own seperate dropbox folder for me to retrieve his saves from?

Problem two: The CMFI game vs WinOrLose is definitely a screw up on my end, CMFI saves the turns in some weird location on the C: drive, whereas my CM games are actually on my X: drive, is there a way or a config file to correctly re-route the save locations? CMRT also has this issue, but CMBN does not.
I am receiving WinOrLoses turns fine through dropbox, but have to manually drop my save file into the shared dropbox folder. (Which actually answers my second question from the first problem)

A couple of questions -

I set up CM Helper & dropbox yesterday and have it partially working, I'm currently playing @Mike3543 on one game and @WinOrLose on another.

Problem one: The CMBN game vs Mike is mostly working, when I save in game it correctly copies to my dropbox folder which Mike can then retrieve from, however, he is unable to manually copy his save into my dropbox folder.
Do I need to set something else up on my end or does he need his own seperate dropbox folder for me to retrieve his saves from?

Problem two: The CMFI game vs WinOrLose is definitely a screw up on my end, CMFI saves the turns in some weird location on the C: drive, whereas my CM games are actually on my X: drive, is there a way or a config file to correctly re-route the save locations? CMRT also has this issue, but CMBN does not.
I am receiving WinOrLoses turns fine through dropbox, but have to manually drop my save file into the shared dropbox folder. (Which actually answers my second question from the first problem)

I use H2H Helper which I imagine does a similar thing. In H2H you can edit the file location, does CM helper allow this?

Valkatox thank you for the useful video. I see free drop box accounts on the internet with 2 GB of storage. 2 GB should be sufficient for PBEM games?
Thank you in advance.

I've got CM Helper up , but noticed on the "Your CM Installations" tab that my FI installation doesn't show the Rome 2 Victory module. Tried the "Add install" option but must be doing it wrong - any good Samaritan out there willing to help this newbie out?

Back