Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

How to: Drop box to CM helper?

L

LITTLEGI

Noob question........
Got them both set up. Got the file from my opponent in Drop Box.
So how do I move it to CMhelper? I can't see any way to do it? Is it supposed to go automatically?
Once in CMH does it go right to the game or do I need to move it manually?
thanks
Noob

You have to copy/paste the first file manually from the dropbox folder into the incoming e-mail folder for whatever game you are playing (CMBN, CMRT, etc). After you do that, CM Helper should see it. You many have to right click on the game in the CM Helper window, choose "edit game" and navigate to the dropbox folder. That tells CM Helper which dropbox folder to look in for new files. After that, it should all be automatic and you shouldn't have to do any more manual copy/pasting for the duration of the game.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Liberty ships in WWII. Kept the GI's going (at 8 knots).
2700 built. 3 left.

Three left still in service?

I just noticed your e-mail address, "finest kind". That's a phrase Hawkeye uses often in the M*A*S*H novel. Says in a couple of times in the movie also. Can't remember if he ever used it in the TV show.

Geez, you are old....... MASH!
Yes, it's a Maine phrase. (We lived there 45 years.) It means, roughly, "things are great" or "lookin' good". Closest I can come to and explanation is the southern phrase "We in high cotton"..........
3 left, non in service. 2 are museum ships. Here's some old things (like me) in the engine room. :cheerso:.
Enjoy/ Thanks for the note

So this is what CMH looks like at turn 6. Is this correct? I still have to past it from Dropbox into the game files.
No Problem. Just making sure.
thanks

Attachments

• CMHelper nov 2018.png
    CMHelper nov 2018.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
No, that doesn't look right. It seems you have not told CM Helper which Dropbox folder to associate with that game. With the CM Helper window open, you need to right click on the line for Bruce vs Paul, click Edit Game on the pull down menu, then on the second line (Game File Folder, single/incoming) click Browse, navigate to the correct Dropbox folder, click it, and click Select Folder. After that, you shouldn't ever have to do any more manual copy/pasting of files for that particular game.

Here is what mine looks like:

Desktop Screenshot 2018.11.08 - 14.06.05.09.png

As you can see, I am currently playing four games. When CM Helper knows which Dropbox folder is associated with a particular game, you will see the blue Dropbox icon in the Other Info column. When you are playing an opponent who is also using CM Helper, you will see the CM Helper icon in the Other Info column. As you can see, three of my opponents also use CM Helper, and one (the top one) does not.

Clear as mud?

I find CM Helper to be quite useful as I often have multiple games going, and it saves me a lot of manual copy/pasting. I also like the Chat feature.

Check out this "error" msg...... Yikes. I may stick to cut and paste........
Thanks

Attachments

• CMH error.png
    CMH error.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I don't know what to tell you, @LITTLEGI , other than you seem to be trying to use the most recent "Alpha" version of CM Helper (1.76). The latest. stable version of CM Helper seems to be 1.75 (what I am using).

My advice: Don't sweat the small stuff. Forget about CM Helper and just copy/paste the files. Enjoy a couple of PBEM games, and then, if you want, try to figure out CM Helper later on.

That, and Dropbox, is all you really need to play Combat Mission against a human opponent. Have fun!
Greetings,

Any idea what's wrong? My Dropbox doesn't look anything like the youtube tutorials???
thanks

Attachments

• Dropbox.png
    Dropbox.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 6
I don't want to tread on @Meat Grinder 's toes! But I'm happy to try and help too, as a very satisfied CMH (v 1.7.6 beta) user ...

re Dropbox itself ... which folder are you trying to use for this battle? The one named Bruce Zimmerman in the screenshot? If not that one, where is the folder you want to use?

Have you tried the "right click on the game row in CMH and edit to associate the dropbox folder with that battle in CMH" as Meat Grinder described above?

If you can describe a bit more what you have tried, we can get it working.

As soon as you play more than one CM battle at a time, a working CMH will save you LOADS of time and possible confusion over where the battle files go ... and even more so if the battles are from different CM titles (which CMH keeps track of in moving the files).

I don't want to tread on @Meat Grinder 's toes! But I'm happy to try and help too, as a very satisfied CMH (v 1.7.6 beta) user ...

re Dropbox itself ... which folder are you trying to use for this battle? The one named Bruce Zimmerman in the screenshot? If not that one, where is the folder you want to use?

Have you tried the "right click on the game row in CMH and edit to associate the dropbox folder with that battle in CMH" as Meat Grinder described above?

If you can describe a bit more what you have tried, we can get it working.

As soon as you play more than one CM battle at a time, a working CMH will save you LOADS of time and possible confusion over where the battle files go ... and even more so if the battles are from different CM titles (which CMH keeps track of in moving the files).

Mr Phil, thanks for the help.
The screen shot attached shows my DB files under Bruce Zimmerman. The CMBS folder/file is working. It also shows my CMH screen with a battle (CMBS) that I did manage to transfer over (Miracle....!). And it does keeps track of the turn, but not "last action".
Now if I click on "Game" in CMH and go to edit, nothing happens.

What is frustrating is that my DB page looks nothing like I see in youtube vids?
I appreciate the help. I can email you.

Attachments

• Screen shot CMH and DB.png
    Screen shot CMH and DB.png
    943.9 KB · Views: 4
OK ...

There may perhaps be a tech glitch somewhere, but more likely it is just unfamiliarity with what is going on: when it clicks, it will seem obvious. Was for me when I first used CMH anyway!

Firstly, tho not strictly required, CMH works better / easier if the Dropbox game folder you use is the same name as the CM battle file name: so I’d sugggest creating, sharing and using a new Dropbox folder called “Bruce v Paul” to use for this battle (and so on for all other battles, per whatever battle file name you give them). One Dropbox folder per battle.

Then, in your CMH window, highlight the Bruce v Paul game row by clicking on it then right click it ... an Edit window should pop open, allowing you to hit a Browse button to browse to wherever your local machine copy of the new Bruce v Paul Dropbox folder is located?

Choose that as the Dropbox folder to link with this CMH game row.

This should (!) establish the correct link, to tell CMH which folder to move the battle files to and from for this specific CM battle?

Try this?

Back