Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

In the fields beyond the sleeping Vistula...

In the fields beyond the sleepy Vistula
They lie in the womb of the earth:
Serge, a lad from Malaya Bronnaya,
And Victor from Mokhovaya, too (= streets in Moscow).

Somewhere in the land of the living
Year after year
Their mothers can’t get any sleep,
All alone in their empty apartments.

The burning lamp spreads its light
All over Moscow
From that window on Malaya Bronnaya,
And from Mokhovaya, too.

They won’t come back. The district
Watches the new movie tonight,
The girls of their company
All are married away.

But the world which had been saved,
The world that lives forever
Remembers Serge, a lad from Malaya Bronnaya,
and Victor from Mokhovaya, too.

В полях за Вислой сонной
Лежат в земле сырой
Серёжка с Малой Бронной
И Витька с Моховой,

А где-то в людном мире
Который год подряд
Одни в пустой квартире
Их матери не спят.

Свет лампы воспалённой
Пылает над Москвой
В окне на Малой Бронной,
В окне на Моховой.

Друзьям не встать. В округе
Без них идёт кино,
Девчонки, их подруги
Все замужем давно.

Но помнит мир спасённый,
Мир вечный, мир живой
Серёжку с Малой Бронной
И Витьку с Моховой.

Last edited by a moderator:
A-Bloody-mazing ............................. THANK YOU for sharing, esp today.

Thanks for sharing! I'm really sorry for all the pain and sorrow that was caused by the Germans during WW2.

Lately I watched a commentary on a TV about official diggers who try to find fallen soldiers from both sides in Russia.
I learned that it is very difficult to identify the Russian dead from WW2 since they had as identity marks just paper notes in a little plastic tube. Problem was that every single soldier had to write his personal data on this paper himself what was avoided by many because of superstition.
In this documentary it was stated too that the Soviet state did not care about all the fallen on the battlefields at all. Often the battlefields were just ploughed and reforested after the war. Therefore many families don't know where their fallen relatives rest. In contrast the German war graves commission still tries to find the remains of the single fallen and bring them to war cemeteries in Russia.

Can you confirm this account? I'd really like to know what the common people in Russia think about this topic.
Does somebody care about? Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to spoil your thread but want to learn from someone who knows first hand.

Thank You, Andris, for this contribution! I´ll implement it asap into the russian section of the marches and marching songs.

Greetings :)

Back