Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ithikial Recreating CM1 "Operations" in CM2 Campaigns

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
Staff member
Reaction score
++++For those who don't frequent the Battlefront Forums this is largely a re-post and ask for thoughts and ideas. A little project I have ticking away in the background now I've said no more to video AAR's.++++
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/126346-experimental-design-cm1-operations-in-cm2-video/

I’m apparently part of a small breed of the CM community that misses the old CM1 style operations. This is something I've talked about for some time on and off but over Christmas started to put my mouse where my mouth is... and started designing the thing.
default_smile.png

I hope to use this forum thread to update the community on my progress with this experiment and for others to chip in their thoughts/ideas/solutions to problems encountered. Introduction video first (I plan to do more down the line), followed by some written thoughts to get the ball rolling.

For those younger CM Generals among us, CM1 Operations were essentially one large map with an end objective to reach by the end of a set time period broken up into multiple engagements. Force preservation and forward thinking were key to success. For example: “Okay, I’ve taken this village, do I keep pushing now while the enemy in front of me is disorganized or do I wait until sundown before creeping forward with additional forces that are due to arrive.” It wasn’t a perfect system by any means, for example there were issues regarding how the CM1 titles calculated the deployment zones for follow up missions based on how far the player pushed forward. (It could be gamed a bit).

The CM2 Campaign system is more Designer controlled and is suited to following a more narrative structured series of events over multiple locations. My biggest issue with the current system is depending on how the Designer builds the campaign and handles reinforcements/replenishment; it can heavily encourage players turning to a ‘save scum’ mentality, (a constant reloading of older saves when something goes wrong), knowing they are unlikely to achieve victory later on if they lose ‘x’ number of units now. Or worse, you get the feeling you've progressed through the campaign well only to get to a mission that is simply unplayable due to previous losses. The fact we now see designers (or the community through websites such as @IanL 's) outlining in briefings and in supporting Read Me's released outside of campaign file, pathway and replenishment details is, I think, testament to this problem. The margin for error before it becomes unwinnable (beyond the point of being a hardy worthwhile challenge) in a lot of campaigns is simply so small.

Thing is I think we can create something close to a CM1 style Operation inside the CM2 engine. This is now largely possible due to:
- The far greater map sizes and units the engine can handle now compared to CM2’s debut.
- The variety of forces now on offer in most titles once modules and packs are released.
- General beefiness of current computers.

So a CM2 campaign is essentially a series of linked scenarios that form either one or two pathways to another dependent on 'winning' or 'losing' a preceding scenario. If we switch up the usual formula for a campaign to include the following:
- The player has one large map to clear over a series of engagements that are spread over a tight time-frame.
- A player must hit numerous terrain based objectives in a set order to reach the final objective which ends the campaign. The longer it takes the less the degree of campaign victory.
- These terrain objectives are provided in an order set out by ‘higher command’ (the designer).
- If the player wins, they move on to the next objective in the next allotted time slot.
- If the player loses, they repeat the same scenario with time progressing to the next allotted time slot.
- As time progresses both sides receive reinforcements and replenishment though given the small time frames there would be at set periods or only in small increments.
- An extensive initial Campaign Briefing would be required.
- Briefings between missions would be minimal to represent the lack of orders from higher command during a prolonged engagement. It's up the Battalion Commander (the player) on the ground to make the call on what to do next to meet their final objective. Perhaps limited to some on the ground intel or feedback to the player on what type of support is coming up in future engagements to help them make an informed decision around ‘commit now or later.’
- Forces on both sides would be nearly all Core Units and tracked for the duration of the fight.

The thing is why do we always think of campaign progression as a ‘line’ and why not a ‘table.’ If the player ‘loses’ a scenario, let them try the same mission again with what forces they have on hand but push the time along a little bit for the follow engagement.

The major limit to this approach is the fact that the CMx2 engine doesn’t support terrain damage carrying over between missions. The designer would have to be a little bit creative here and slow damage / rubble down the map as time progresses depending on the circumstances. Perhaps at a set point you damage key focus points on the map to take into account pre-planned bombardments from Army HQ assets.

Using this St Lo period engagement that historically occurred on the map in the video over two full days of fighting is a nicely contained and smaller situation to test out these ideas. If this theory works it would be good to have a crack at the 502d/101st Ab's push towards Carentan.
default_smile.png
Dreams are always bigger than reality.

I’m apparently part of a small breed of the CM community that misses the old CM1 style operations.

I think there are MANY players who would love some more options for stringing battles together than the current campaign format. They just don't know it yet. Heck, I miss CM1 operations, and I never even played CM1 :)

But what I'm missing is that individual battles play out in a larger campaign, and that the results of each battle carries on and affects subsequent battles.

This would both give more meaning to the outcome of any particular battle, and also make for more asymmetric confrontations.

Part 4 up now.

Great to see someone fighting the good fight of creating better and more "living" maps. It's one of my big pet peeves.. Little details like this makes all the difference.

Some map makers tend to make maps that are too modern - no outdoor toilets, all grass cut really short (modern mowing), houses isolated with little gardens (1940s Europe village had many houses clustered together...)

One thing I noticed in your video was that you just added dead cows in the middle of a field, without any reason why they should be dead. I guess they could have been abandoned and died of thirst, but I read that in the war, a real killer of livestock was mortars. Maybe add a couple of craters there.

@Ithikial - these are very good! :cool:

Regarding "Part 2 - Winning the Thing", I'm in the camp which thinks nothing is "obvious" to the player more often than not. Scenario's should have operations orders which specify or focus on what to do for this battle. While the campaign mission is only achievable after clearing the flanks, that may not be obvious to someone who plops into the battle without the scenario designer's situational awareness. I think it is better when the scenario mission briefing tells players to specifically clear and secure flanks so that the battalion can push forward later in the campaign. "An order that can be misunderstood, will be misunderstood." (Napoleon Bonaparte)

While I also agree with @Bulletpoint's comments about parts 3 & 4, "Everything Green Is Dangerous - Hedgerows" and "Telling Stories on the Map", those are but small additions to your very fine demonstrations. Please keep these coming.

Part 3 of the video series and the first one looking at a detailed aspect of my map. Hedgerows!

When you're showing in the editor how you put a lot of vegetation on the actual hedgerow tiles and on the road tiles, I can't help but comment that if you place trees and bushes on a road, the game autoatically removes them, and bushes placed on the hedgerows get "absorbed" into the hedge and don't really do much, because you're basically adding a bush to a bush.

I agree with your thoughts about making the landscape overgrown though. And no, I didn't spot the infantry.. but to my defence I was watching in a small window :)

@Ithikial

I really enjoy your new point of view? You are addressing an area that some folks may not even know about. Your leadership in DARs and AARs has brought may folks to emulating your success.

I bet the same will happen with your emphasis on scenario development.

Oh how I miss those CMx1 campaigns that you could play with other players!

It is hard to imagine that over a decade ago, we were playing a game that could do this for us (although it did have some issues but hey, at least it worked) but with the new, improved CMx2 we have lost that capability. It reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire, where human civilization actually lost knowledge/skills and went "backwards".

Keep up the good work Ithikial!!! @Ithikial

Oh how I miss those CMx1 campaigns that you could play with other players!

It is hard to imagine that over a decade ago, we were playing a game that could do this for us (although it did have some issues but hey, at least it worked) but with the new, improved CMx2 we have lost that capability. It reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire, where human civilization actually lost knowledge/skills and went "backwards".

Keep up the good work Ithikial!!! @Ithikial

Can't help with multiplayer side.. well maybe but it would mean a hell of a lot of honesty among both players.

OOB's for both sides almost complete. Next videos will likely be about how and why I've created the OOB for each side. Probably one video for each side since there is quite a bit to cover.

So who wants to test out the map?

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tpg2/cm-battle-for-normandy/le-carillon-strongpoint-map-test-h2h-only/

Merry late Easter?

I've uploaded a blank copy of the map as well as a rough meeting engagement and allied assault option for any budding H2H players who want to settle some old scores in the hedgerows north of St Lo.

Pick you own forces or even your own objectives. I'm really after feedback about how the battle 'flows' so to speak. Where the natural lines of engagement are, the choke-points, strongpoints etc. This will be pretty critical and allow me to design a tougher experience for the campaign. Also finding out little oddities/errors with the map never hurts at this point.

Note that some of the custom flavour objects won't show up since they aren't included with the file yet.

Many thanks in advance. On to placing units and making the next video diary on unit selection (so spoiler warning from now on).
default_smile.png

So who wants to test out the map?

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tpg2/cm-battle-for-normandy/le-carillon-strongpoint-map-test-h2h-only/

Merry late Easter?

I've uploaded a blank copy of the map as well as a rough meeting engagement and allied assault option for any budding H2H players who want to settle some old scores in the hedgerows north of St Lo.

Pick you own forces or even your own objectives. I'm really after feedback about how the battle 'flows' so to speak. Where the natural lines of engagement are, the choke-points, strongpoints etc. This will be pretty critical and allow me to design a tougher experience for the campaign. Also finding out little oddities/errors with the map never hurts at this point.

Note that some of the custom flavour objects won't show up since they aren't included with the file yet.

Many thanks in advance. On to placing units and making the next video diary on unit selection (so spoiler warning from now on).
default_smile.png

@Ithikial,

How about this....I use your ME map in the Garry Owen cup! Team mirrored, so I'm not overly worried about balance. I checked out the map and I think it would work wonderfully in a 45 minute small force quick battle. What do you say?

@Ithikial,

How about this....I use your ME map in the Garry Owen cup! Team mirrored, so I'm not overly worried about balance. I checked out the map and I think it would work wonderfully in a 45 minute small force quick battle. What do you say?
Sounds good. No one has fought over the map before so it will be nice and fair for both sides. However the map is designed for a battalion sized engagement (or at least two companies up front) so it maybe a bit big for the Ryder Cup. May want to slice it into thirds for company level engagements.

Back