Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

John Chard

G

Guderian

Colonel John Rouse Merriott Chard VC (21 December 1847 – 1 November 1897) was a British Army officer who received the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" that can be awarded to members of the British armed forces. He earned the decoration for his role in the defence of Rorke's Drift in January 1879 where he commanded a small British garrison of 139 soldiers that successfully repulsed an assault by some 3,000 to 4,000 Zulu warriors. The battle was recreated in the film Zulu in which Chard was portrayed by Stanley Baker.

Born near Plymouth, Chard attended the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich and was commissioned into the Royal Engineers in July 1868. He was involved with the construction of naval fortifications in Bermuda and Malta before he was deployed to southern Africa at the start of the Anglo-Zulu War. At the end of the war he returned to a hero's welcome in England and was invited to an audience with Queen Victoria. After a series of overseas postings he took up his final position in Perth, Scotland. He retired from the army as a colonel in 1897 after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died at his brother's home in Somerset later that year.

2yvum9t.jpg

Or when the pooh hits the fan. A cool head is a rare thing.
All my posts on this thread are those who when 98% of humanity would panic.
They are calm. rational, and planing response.
Humanity is at its best when under pressure. This is one reason why war is so much a fixture
in the mind of men. Pulling a trigger is easy.. leading men in combat and earning the greatest respect one can get, respect of your troopers. is VERY hard. [in my opinion]
And worth more than any vc.

Gudie

Last edited by a moderator:
earning the greatest respect one can get, respect of your troopers. is VERY hard.

Having been led in combat by some great leaders, I would disagree, in that it is actually very easy. All one must do is instill in your men the concept that their lives are worth more than any mission. Something I remembered when I was called upon to be a leader, and thereby earned the respect of my men. So much so, that a couple refused promotions because it would have meant leaving my squad/section to be under the leadership of others.

Facman

I bow to the empirical. The thing experienced.You have been there at pointy end of sword. i am an armchair talker.
[tho i've been told im very good with guns. a thread in own right]

i would love command at what i do .. give me division name and year/s and i will ferret info and match to overall geopolitic.

nik 3.14159265
Sarge

both
I am most effective when led by equal with more experience.
That may take me to places i have not been.
as an 'aspie'.
i see deed 1st

all else is words

the odd angry shot?

43th armoured recon Dutch Army

squad leader, infantry recon platoon

-Bosnia 2000/2001
-Bosnia 2002
-Afghanistan 2006/2007

I was a member of Delta Co, 1st Bn 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division...1969
from memory alone without looking it up.
Thats some heavy . 3 marine was in thick of i,t if i remember right.
didnt 3 marine 'own' a big strip of coast south of border. including Hue

some research is required as i have not read anything on nam since 'chickenhawks' [chopper pilot bio].. a great book.

gudie

Dutch

very interesting.

like many i ask where does UN get forces from..
we see Pakistan in blackhawk down but forget to ask why Pakistan had a brigade in somalia.

That dutch had units in afghan is new to me.
thanks for heads up.
i'll look it up

didnt 3 marine 'own' a big strip of coast south of border. including Hue

Yes, there were sister units down there, but the 1st of the 4th operated almost exclusively up in the high country. We did one sweep operation down around Quang Tri that lasted about a week.

Leatherneck Corner

Back