Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kicking around some ideas, again.

Nathangun

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
I came across this game Bastogne: Screaming Eagles Under Siege. It's a Company size units fighting in and around Bastogne.

One of the scenarios, battle for Noville and Foy, is the smallest scenario and as such there is a Foy/Noville master map in CMBF, useful. One of the biggest campaign killers is building CM maps.

Now, this is the small portion of the original map in the board game, each hex is 400m. I thought it was a bit bland for gamers these days so I jazzed it up a bit.

7A64Eyn.jpg

In the map below each hex is around 600m. The map contours are about 3 meters, it's more for aesthetics rather than actual topographical information.
I was going to keep with the original size hexes, but decided against it.
My idea is to have several medium size battles rather and two massive battles which will take months to complete.
If a unit moves into the Zone of Control (ZOC) of an enemy unit it triggers a battle. The commander can say what he wants to complete, say he wants to scout enemy positions or moving along a road to reinforce a other position (hex).

The units will be infantry platoon/companies and tank platoons/companies and there will be mortar units artillery etc..

Each campaign turn is six hours, it will be a two day campaign and each CM battle will be 30-45 minutes.

Ammo will be a factor, so don't shoot off all your guns at once.

Tkn9TTO.jpg

It's still a work in progress.

Might need a couple of play testers.

Last edited:
I came across this game Bastogne: Screaming Eagles Under Siege. It's a Company size units fighting in and around Bastogne.

One of the scenarios, battle for Noville and Foy, is the smallest scenario and as such there is a Foy/Noville master map in CMBF, useful. One of the biggest campaign killers is building CM maps.

Now, this is the small portion of the original map in the board game, each hex is 400m. I thought it was a bit bland for gamers these days so I jazzed it up a bit.

7A64Eyn.jpg

In the map below each hex is around 600m. The map contours are about 3 meters, it's more for aesthetics rather than actual topographical information.
I was going to keep with the original size hexes, but decided against it.
My idea is to have several medium size battles rather and two massive battles which will take months to complete.
If a unit moves into the Zone of Control (ZOC) of an enemy unit it triggers a battle. The commander can say what he wants to complete, say he wants to scout enemy positions or moving along a road to reinforce a other position (hex).

The units will be infantry platoon/companies and tank platoons/companies and there will be mortar units artillery etc..

Each campaign turn is six hours, it will be a two day campaign and each CM battle will be 30-45 minutes.

Ammo will be a factor, so don't shoot off all your guns at once.

Tkn9TTO.jpg

It's still a work in progress.

Might need a couple of play testers.

Looking good, count me in! (y)

Having never played a hex based wargame, is your idea to have a seperate game that lets you initiate a CM battle depending on what is happening on the hex board; or are you making a CM campaign based on the original hex board game?

Good idea. Also, I think that the big battles of history were mostly made up of many smaller engagements anyway.

Also this.

In the map below each hex is around 600m.

Isn't 600x600m a bit too small for a battle? Long range weapons won't really come into play, and maneuver is limited. I'd suggest 1000x1000m hexes. It also means cutting the master map into fewer pieces. Less to keep track of.

Last edited:
Think 600m x 1200m, two hexes. Hence "when a unit moves in a ZOC a battle is triggered".
Like I said, a work in progress.

Ah ok. I didn't catch that. But yes, a work in progress. I just thought I'd share my ideas :)

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks, I sure will.

How will it work, what are the steps involved when playing a game?

Still working these things out. I have ideas, just trying to figure out a balance.
Basically, a CM battle may be 2 x 2 hexes (800M X 800M) the hexes will determine where abouts the units set up in a CM battle.
Ammo loss will carry over from battle to battle.
There will be FOG (Fog of War).
Each day (daylight time) turn will be roughly 3 hours, night 6 hours.
Turn 1 - dawn > mid day.
Turn 2 - mid day > 3pm.
Turn 3 - 3pm > dusk
Turn 4 - dusk > midnight
Turn 5 - midnight > dawn

When giving orders for units, a task/mission must be given to the particular unit, ie. dig in, patrol, scout, probe, set up ambush, assault, set up out post, move to.. etc..
When moving, a formation must be given, column, staggered column, wedge etc.. and if moving along a road or across country.

Units may be companies or platoons. Tank, MG teams, AT teams and Inf platoons may be assigned to the same mission (battle).

Here's an update map. It correlates with the master map a bit better, though I had to edit both.
Each hex is about 400m.

5iK4QaU.jpg

Question: how many units each player will control?
Is there an overall commander that will assign to each player his orders?

Question: how many units each player will control?

Each side will have a Task Force/Battle Group of Battalion sized force with Mech inf, tanks, infantry and artillery support.

Is there an overall commander that will assign to each player his orders?

Yes, so as someone is willing.

I'd be interested in this.
When it comes to maps, maybe have a look through all the QB maps and some might be useful if slightly edited, expanded and so on. I have a pdf with a preview shot of all QB maps if you want it.
Making a basic master map from a period topo map wouldn't necessarily take too long if exact details aren't a priority.

I have a pdf with a preview shot of all QB maps if you want it.

Oh, that would be useful. If you have one for all the CM titles that would be great. (y)
The master map is done, just need to edit it a little.

Let me know if I can help, I'm a newbie but I played several boardgames!

Will do.

Still working these things out. I have ideas, just trying to figure out a balance.
Basically, a CM battle may be 2 x 2 hexes (800M X 800M) the hexes will determine where abouts the units set up in a CM battle.
Ammo loss will carry over from battle to battle.
There will be FOG (Fog of War).
Each day (daylight time) turn will be roughly 3 hours, night 6 hours.
Turn 1 - dawn > mid day.
Turn 2 - mid day > 3pm.
Turn 3 - 3pm > dusk
Turn 4 - dusk > midnight
Turn 5 - midnight > dawn

When giving orders for units, a task/mission must be given to the particular unit, ie. dig in, patrol, scout, probe, set up ambush, assault, set up out post, move to.. etc..
When moving, a formation must be given, column, staggered column, wedge etc.. and if moving along a road or across country.

Units may be companies or platoons. Tank, MG teams, AT teams and Inf platoons may be assigned to the same mission (battle).

Here's an update map. It correlates with the master map a bit better, though I had to edit both.
Each hex is about 400m.
I like your idea and I'd love to see this as a separate program, something that would produce a data output so that the turn could be manually inputted into a QB.

eg. text file outputted from program
  • Battle type - attack
  • Battle size - huge
  • Length of battle - 2 hours
  • etc...
CM needs a strategic command layer.

Back