Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone else picked this one up? I saw @Vartuoosi having a crack on Steam last night.

So far for me it's "different good." It's not Skyrim, Witcher etc. Think of it as an "ARMA-like" immerssion simulator set in 1403. :p

I died in the tutorial. Tried to take on five enemies trying to *ahem* cause some distress for the miller's daughter as my home village was sacked. Was stabbed in the neck within three seconds. Learned the enemy don't mind attacking you together rather than lining up one at time like most games.

I bought on KS 3 years ago. Installed the full game, will start playing tomorrow :)

This looks good. I’ve been looking for a ‘realistic’ medieval game for awhile. No magic, etc. My only worry from reading about it is that it will get too much into the mundane and bog down. Looks like eating and sleeping, food quality, and even washing your damn clothes are also very realistic. I mean, who doesn’t like doing a bunch of chores, but jeeez....

yeah i like it too. i only played a few hours but it Looks very nice.

The game does have its fair share of bugs at the moment but for a game like this its not all that unexpected. For me, must of the bugs have been small things like barmaids standing completely still and some delayed texture loading. Only had one crash in the many hours I've played. It should be sorted in a couple patches.

I'd say the biggest bug is the $60 price tag.
$60 is the standard price for a game. I usually wait for a Steam sale but in this case I like what War Horse is trying to do so paying full retail to a small indie studio doesn't bother me.

$60 US has been the standard price for a new release since I was a little kid. In real terms that means they have become cheaper over the long term. It's one of biggest problems for the wider industry that the market hasn't allowed their prices to gradually increase in line with inflation at the very least. Meanwhile the cost of production has gone up. As a result they need to sell more product today to turn a profit. Mass Effect: Andromeda and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are two recent examples where even though they still sold millions of units were still commercial failures making any further work on these franchises a risky proposition.

Kingdom Come and Combat Mission are in that much smaller basket they rely on smaller production costs but aren't expecting to sell as many units like the examples above. They know they're different. As a gamer who likes what they see the best amount of influence you can exert is to buy a copy which helps generate a market signal that you want more games like this in the future. Waiting for sales may seem good but remember if you only pay $30, the developer will only get $30 instead of $60. (Not counting Steam's cut for simplicity).

And yes I've been working too long and yet to switch off from work. :p

And some rough back of envelope sums using annual average rates of inflation in the USA from the mid 1980's to today.

Assuming at the Nintendo and Atari heyday prices of games were $60 USD and then assuming the industry purely kept increasing prices at the rate of inflation, then a game today should cost somewhere around $140 USD. It's no wonder we get some many freaking subscription deals and DLC these days. ;)

Game developers and publishers have adapted in different ways to cover the increased cost of production and a stubborn market expectation for price. Efficient use of the same engine (Battlefront), subscription services (pretty much everyone), ongoing development/community buildings/ongoing expansions (Paradox and Bohemia interactive). Oh and then reskinning the same game and selling it again, (Activision, EA). Just some ways the industry has changed to cope. But the saving grace is the number of consumers has dramatically increased over the last three decades which made the industry stay viable as an entertainment medium.

Have to disgree. $60 is the standard price for some games. You can rationalize paying $60 if you like, but that is just waay too much money for a game nowadays. Wait for that next Steam sale and you can get it for $29.99.
I agree and I feel the same about Jaguars, they just cost waay too much money nowadays.

Back