Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Line of sight

P

PoorOldSpike

TREES MIGHT BLOCK LOS

QB v AI: My Sher 75 fires at a Stug, what can possibly go wrong?
lo1.gif

Huh? his shot seems to airburst halfway there!-
lo2.gif

His Sher 75 mate fires too-
lo3.gif

And gets a clean hit on the Stug!-
lo4.gif

This rewind analysis with trees toggled on (ALT-T) explains it, the first guy's shot smacked into a tree!-
lo5.gif

Another press of ALT-T cycles to the 'treetrunks' view.
The moral- make sure trees aren't getting in the way-
lo6.gif

I think for that reason, it may also help your tanks chances of survival to put them a back into the treeline, more chance of incoming impacting on trees? Don't know, but I think I read something like that on one of the AARs at Battlefront. It was also dependent on how far back in the treeline you were, if you were not far enough back, the benefits of tree cover were not as much. Too far back and you probably can't see out or be seen.

I keep the trees on as much as possible to try and understand the lay of the land -- then switch them off for orders and when I need to see where my units are.
I often use the lowest level view of units to see what cover they really have -- the higher views can be very deceptive.

I am finding that I have no choice but to play with trees off. The scenery is beautiful and all for screen shots but trying to plot moves and watching replays (which is 90% of the time) is too much. Are you guys playing the same way or don't you mind the trees getting in the way.

I play with trees off (like I play CMx1), but briefly toggle them on every now and again through the game to remind myself where they are.

PS- What difficulty level do people play at? I play at Basic Training level because it's the nearest to CMx1's 'extreme fog of war'.
i tried playing CMBN at 'Veteran' level but didn't like it at all because the f.o.w. was far too severe and unrealistic, I had enemy units vanishing and being replaced with question mark icons all the time even though they were near to my own units with clear LOS.
Here's a shot from a Veteran level game, there are two German question marks at lower left in clear view of my US tanks but I haven't a clue whether they're vehicles or infantry.
That's what I mean about Vet level (and higher) being too severe and unrealistic. If this was Basic Training level, they'd show as proper 3D units, not as question marks.
(I cleared the data strip (circled) by clicking an empty area of the screen to ensure the view wasn't locked to any single units eyes only, but they still remained question marks)

nn5.gif

I'll test Vet out again sometime, but for now I'm sticking with Basic and i'd advise other noobs to do the same or they'll get fed up of question marks everywhere and hate the game from the start..

It never occurred to me that the ? markers would make me hate the game. I find it adds to the flavor. If I see a ? floating on the map, I click it and see which of my unit icons light up. That lets me know who of my guys are gathering intel on an enemy unit in a specific area of the map. I enjoy then going to my guys and seeing what they can see from their vantage point. I think it adds another layer of enjoyment to the game.

With the "borg" sighting in play, I never know which one of my guys can see which one of the enemy units (and therefore never know for sure which one of my guys can be killed by that enemy unit).

I realize it is just a matter of taste and to each their own. Just another reason why this game will appeal to many people, each playing it the way they derive the most enjoyment.

NO HIDING PLACE

I thought my US spotting team would be well concealed here in the rocks, especially as I put them on 'Hide', and especially as it's raining and a dull day and the jerries are far away, but Hiram Sedai's Panther (circled) soon spots them and starts shooting and I begin to lose men.
The CMBN manual makes no mention of what bonuses we get for being in different kinds of cover, so we have to learn the hard way like this (sniffle).
(This is Basic Training Level, so perhaps they'd have been harder to spot if it was Vet or higher, I don't know)-
njkd.gif

uh, Mister Spike? You just gave away how much of me you can see.

I've got plenty more units watching your boys like the all-seeing Eye of Sauron..:)

errr...I had no idea this was going to be a turn by turn AAR to show my glaring ineptitude as you blow each of my tanks to kingdom come. :nerd:

since you are the Master tactician, mayhaps you can point out what I'm doing wrong to improve my gameplay?

..since you are the Master tactician, mayhaps you can point out what I'm doing wrong to improve my gameplay?

Wait a minute, i've only had CMBN 10 days so I'm as green as everybody else!
The only tip I can suggest is to just use simple commonsense on the field and try to muddle through like the rest of us..:)

Wait a minute, i've only had CMBN 10 days so I'm as green as everybody else!
The only tip I can suggest is to just use simple commonsense on the field and try to muddle through like the rest of us..:)
Well, I'm not yelling "show us your tips!" Its about the journey, not the destination for me. Anything more than a truckload is a waste and I like my coffee like I like my wimmen, in large cups.

Am having flashbacks to when I used to play against a guy named Fionn Kelly. I was too scared to move forward so many times and had to arty the whole map. He was able to beat me with his skill and his reputation.

I play with trees on, I lose my sense of the land if I turn them off, though my guys seem to see through them better than myself. I zoom in a bunch anyways, helps me think.

I play with trees on, I lose my sense of the land if I turn them off, though my guys seem to see through them better than myself. I zoom in a a bunch anyways, helps me think.

well you know we belong to the land and the land we belong to is grand.

I turn mine on and off during the game. Same with smoke

:)

GREY TARGET LINE NEVER GUARANTEES SOLID LOS

My Sher and Hiram Sedai's Marder have spent the whole turn firing at each other but haven't scored any hits yet because most of their shells are slamming into the slight raised embankment, and a few are flying over each others heads-
los1.gif

In the next order phase, the target line tool explains why; the line is grey which indicates only partial LOS, instead of being the usual light blue which would indicate a good solid LOS-
los4.gif

Viewed from this level, both vehs can only see the top bit of each other, very small targets (Marder arrowed), while their lower hulls are hull down behind the embankment-
los3.gif

EDIT- I did however have a solid light blue lock on the Panther and tried giving the Sher a direct fire order against it next turn, but before it could fire the Marder drilled it with the first shot, it had to happen sooner or later (sniffle), I'll post a pic in the screenshot section-

Good to know, thanks mister spike!

very helpful During Action Report.

:smile:

Back