Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Name That Battle Game

Wouldn't have got it without @steve making the Ethiopian connection. Needed a second look to realise they had guns...

Anyway, up next we have:
FGMBattle2_zpsdlfole8x.jpg

I know that Norman Wilkinson did a series of paintings about the Royal Navy, but that's as far as I can get with this one.

Narvik is close enough. Second Battle of, with RN destroyers and HMS Warspite chasing the remnants of the Kriegsmarine destroyer force up a fjord. Luckily for the RN the German torpedoes were running too deep due to the fresh/salt water balance to actually hit anything.

Narvik is close enough. Second Battle of, with RN destroyers and HMS Warspite chasing the remnants of the Kriegsmarine destroyer force up a fjord. Luckily for the RN the German torpedoes were running too deep due to the fresh/salt water balance to actually hit anything.

Lucky guess ... close quarters ... destroyers... snowy hills in the background ... it fitted.

DAMNIT :(, DAMNIT :(. I was desperately trying to remember this, (Damn Your Eyes! ) ........ Walked this Battlefield many times ...... (Several lifetimes ago) @Ithikial :p

Battle of Spion Kop? 23–24 January 1900.

Damn you too @Rico - I was certain I was right!!
Nope -- right part of the world though.

Hmmmmmm, I've certainly walked the battlefield at some point, Grrrrrrrr why won't it come? (Because you're a dummy :rolleyes:, with a terrible memory for names :oops: - Probably caused by lifestyle :cool:- it was FUN:D but there is a price to pay. :eek: )

Can't see the enemy in the picture, so could it be Boer War?

Took awhile, but I think this is it.
Battle of Majuba Hill
Date: 27th February 1881

Place: In the northern tip of Natal near to the Transvaal Border, in South Africa.
http://www.britishbattles.com/first-boer-war/majuba-hill.htm

Correct, it was the main battle of what is known as the 1st Anglo-Boer War in 1881 - by the time the 2nd major Boer war broke out, the Brits were no longer fighting in red ( or blue for naval troops) uniform tunics, but had switched over to khaki.

Took awhile, but I think this is it.
Battle of Majuba Hill
Date: 27th February 1881

Place: In the northern tip of Natal near to the Transvaal Border, in South Africa.
http://www.britishbattles.com/first-boer-war/majuba-hill.htm

Correct, it was the main battle of what is known as the 1st Anglo-Boer War in 1881 - by the time the 2nd major Boer war broke out, the Brits were no longer fighting in red ( or blue for naval troops) uniform tunics, but had switched over to khaki.

Back