Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operational Campaign Idea using Axis and Allies D-Day map.

M

marseu

Hi to All

I have an Idea about an Operational campaign game for CMBN, using the game map and some concepet rules of the boardgame AXIS and ALLIES D-Day.

Because I have a lack in enlgish and graphic skills I need some help, also any suggestion on the game rules will be much appreciated, but before all I need to know if some of you would be intrested in this kind of game.

In the following thread you can find the main concept of the game, please let me know if it could be intresting to develop more deeply.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry for my bad english.

Map Rules:
The Map is the map of the famous boardgame "Axis and Allies D-Day", also rules that I have in mind can be reported to the concept rules of that kind of game.

You can see that every territory is divided in 2 half's by an horizontal line with a circle in the center, it means that both axis and allies can share the same territory, putting it in a contested situation.

Also you can see that there are some white blocks positioned in the sea, this boxes are used to deploy troops during reinforcement phase, and are the base from where attacks to the beaches will be launched.
There is a box for every beach to assault.

The Big Box in the Top right corner will contain allies reinforcements that will be deployed between round's and the Big box on the left bottom corner will contain axis reinforcements.
Some other words about the map. You can see that the coastal territories have a Bunker symbol in it, this means that axis defender will have some fortifications available during battles for the beaches. Also you can see that in the sea area there are some Ship's silhouette meaning that during beach assault allies can have some naval support, but because there are only 3 of them the High commander of the allies must decide which field commander to support.

Order of Battle Rules:
Every commander is in command of a fictional Combined Arms battalion composed of 6 Infantry companies(one of them should be a Weapon/Support/HQ company); 1 Engineer's Company; 1 Recon Company; 1 Antitank Guns company; 1 Medium Tank Platoon; 1 Light Tank Platoon; 1 Tank destroyer Platoon. For a total of 12 combat units.
*This configuration of Battalions will be much more typical, considering the Nations: US, UK, Canada, Poland, Paratroopers, German Army, Luftwaffe, Waffen SS.
Anyway in a battle a maximum of 3 Companies can be deployed(in the count of the maximum 3 I consider also the Engineers, Recon and AT Guns companies) with attached any number of Tank platoons.
About off map artillery and air support it is assigned by the High commander to single battles as he wishes.
So for example in a battle I choose to deploy 2 Infantry companies, 1 Engineers Company, 1 Light Tank platoon, 1 Medium Tank platoon and 1 Tank destroyers platoon(Battalion commanders will always be included) reaching the maximum deployable units, also my High commander has assigned me a section of 155mm for that battle so I will have an extra FO unit.

Stacking Limit:
Every territory have a stacking limit of 12 units per side Axis and Allies(with the word Unit I'm referring to a infantry company and/or tank platoon) and just 1 off map artillery Unit.
About artillery units, they can support battles in the adjacent territories and are lost if the territory where they are in is captured before they can leave that territory.

The Round:
The first to play is the Allies Team and will follow the turn sequence, then it is the turn for the Axis team and will follow this sequence as well. There are a maximum of 10 rounds to be played for achieving victory conditions. 1 complete Round is divided into AlliesTurn sequence and Axis Turn sequence.

The Turn Sequence:
1. Combat Movement:
Every Battalion commander moves any number of his units according to plans discussed with other commanders and final decision taken by the High Commander.
The movement limit is 1 Territory for every kind of unit.
Kinds of combat Move:
· Enter with your units in a territory controlled by the enemy but free of enemy units. This will result in switching that territory control to your side.
· Enter in a territory controlled by the enemy and where are enemy units in it. This will result in a fight. At the end of this movement even if the attacker fails, remaining attacking units enter that territory anyway, putting it in a contested situation. None of the sides control it.
Remember, a max of 3 inf. units + any number of tank units can conduct an attack and all must came from the same battalion.
· Attacking enemy units that share a contested territory with you. Remember, a max of 3 inf. units + any number of tank units can conduct an attack and all must came from the same battalion.
When an attack is declared in a given territory, the defender is forced to defend at least with a number of units equal to the number of the attacking player, if he has enough units in the territory that is under attack.
If the targeted territory has defending units from different battalions the attacker must declare against which one Battalion he wants to attack. Meaning that different Battalions can never play together in a single battle.
The Off Map Artillery and Air Support units will not move in this phase, but the High commander must declare which combat movement they will support.

2. Combat Resolution:
Every battle is resolved by playng it in CMBN + CW 2.01. The GM setup the game, using Scenario editor and QB maps and he will follow the instructions given by battalion commanders for selecting units to be deployed in battle.
The kind of QB map used will be determined by the difference between Attacker and Defender units as follow:
4 to 1 Assault, 3 to 1 Attack, 2 to 1 Probe, 1 to 1 Meeting engagement. The time and size of the map will depend on the number of units involved in the battle.

3. Combat results:
Total Victory: defender loses all units involved in the battle.
Major Victory: defender loses a maximum of 3 Units involved in the battle.
Tactical Victory: Defender loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle.
Minor Victory: Defender loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle and the Attacker loses 1.
Draw: both attacker and defender lose 1 Unit involved in the battle.
Minor Loss: Attacker loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle and the Defender loses 1.
Tactical Loss: Attacker loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle.
Major Loss: Attacker loses a maximum of 3 Units involved in the battle.
Total Loss: Attacker loses all units involved in the battle.
Casualities will be choosen by the player.

4. Non Combat move:
After the resolution of all combats the strategic map will be updated and the playng side chooses the non combat movements of all of his units. Only the units that not attacked can move in this phase.
This movement can end in any territory owned by your side and also in a contested territory to reinforce other units, but always keeping in mind the stacking limit of the territories: 12 Units per side in a territory contested or not.
Units in a territory can came from different battalions but they can't never do a joint attack or joint defense.

5. Reinforcements:
During this phase Allied Reinforcing battalions come into play, they are picked from respective reinforcement pool and placed on the respective Launch zone. Then in the next Combat or non combat move phase of the next round they can land on the appropriate beach heads, if there is enough space considering Stacking limit.
The same rule is applied to Axis reinforcements with the exception that reinforcing battalion are placed directly on the strategic map but they can be placed only in territories that have this names: Rennes, Chartres, Rouen.

Victory Condition for Allies: Control Territory Cherbourg, ST.Lo, Caen for a complete Round.
Victory Condition for Axis: at the End of 10 Round prevent allies from reaching they're Objective.

Certainly well thought out, but we've seen this campaign before.
It suffers from familiarity as we all await new releases from BF later this year, particularly the east Front.

WoW you did it before, I'm courious to know how it worked. I guess it was much similar to the boardgame..

Ahhh ok :)
One of the reasons that forced me study this game system was the impossibilty to partecipate to that really intresting game. Arrrghh

Yo Marseu!
Perhaps you might want to look at your Combat Results, they appear to be inconsistent. There are few consequences for the attackers losing the fight.

Total Victory: defender loses all units involved in the battle.
Major Victory: defender loses a maximum of 3 Units involved in the battle.
Tactical Victory: Defender loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle.
Minor Victory: Defender loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle and the Attacker loses 1.
Draw: both attacker and defender lose 1 Unit involved in the battle.
Minor Loss: Defender loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle and the Attacker loses 1.
Tactical Loss: Defender loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle.
Major Loss: defender loses a maximum of 3 Units involved in the battle.
Total Loss: defender loses all units involved in the battle.
Casualities will be chosen by the player.

Ah yes I realized it after writing.
Should be:

Minor Loss: Attacker loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle and the Defender loses 1.
Tactical Loss: Attacker loses a maximum of 2 Units involved in the battle.
Major Loss: Attacker loses a maximum of 3 Units involved in the battle.
Total Loss: Attacker loses all units involved in the battle.
Casualities will be chosen by the player.

Thanks

I'm signed in as a replacement, since I have joined this forum.:)
Thanks mTk.

Back