Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Pike & Shot

Anybody picking this up?

PIKE & SHOT

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. In 1494 A.D. The first of the Italian Wars broke out, starting a long struggle for dominance in the region, involving many major belligerents such as France, the Holy Roman Empire and Spain. After years of fighting, the conflict was not resolved until 1559.

Then from 1618 until 1648, The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics. The Thirty Years War saw the involvement of great empires such as the Spanish and the French empires, as well as the Swedes.

And starting at 1642, the English Civil War erupted, tearing the country apart between Royalists and Parliamentarians as the fought for control of the country. After many musket volleys and cavalry charges, it was the famous Olivier Cromwell who led the Parliamentarians to victory, ending the conflict in 1651.

All these wars were fought during the age of Pike and Shot, a time where musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikemen held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat. Now you can march into the footsteps of the great leaders of these wars, as you can take command in the greatest historical battles of the Italian Wars, the Thirty Years War and the English Civil War. Fight stand-alone “what-if” scenarios, or design your own scenarios using the easy to use editor and claim glory in Pike & Shot!

20140904022516.jpg
\

20141015024333.jpg

Oh Man. Hadn't seen this at all but I am off to go check it.

Many moons ago (at college) my friends and I raised 25mm Lead armies - Ottoman, Polish, Landsknecht, Swiss and Muscovite... I still have many of the figures. Then two of us raised 15mm armies (sometime later) for the English Civil War...

I hope it plays well - have you had a go?

Anybody picking this up?

PIKE & SHOT

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. In 1494 A.D. The first of the Italian Wars broke out, starting a long struggle for dominance in the region, involving many major belligerents such as France, the Holy Roman Empire and Spain. After years of fighting, the conflict was not resolved until 1559.

Then from 1618 until 1648, The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics. The Thirty Years War saw the involvement of great empires such as the Spanish and the French empires, as well as the Swedes.

And starting at 1642, the English Civil War erupted, tearing the country apart between Royalists and Parliamentarians as the fought for control of the country. After many musket volleys and cavalry charges, it was the famous Olivier Cromwell who led the Parliamentarians to victory, ending the conflict in 1651.

All these wars were fought during the age of Pike and Shot, a time where musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikemen held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat. Now you can march into the footsteps of the great leaders of these wars, as you can take command in the greatest historical battles of the Italian Wars, the Thirty Years War and the English Civil War. Fight stand-alone “what-if” scenarios, or design your own scenarios using the easy to use editor and claim glory in Pike & Shot!

20140904022516.jpg
\

20141015024333.jpg
What is the game play like , have you played it much

Looked at this a few times and would be interested to hear what you guys think,I still have some 25mm Renaissance figures in the attack from my 'poor student' days...

Looked at this a few times and would be interested to hear what you guys think,I still have some 25mm Renaissance figures in the attack from my 'poor student' days...

Very easy to play -- some of the arquebus/musket firing ranges seem a little long... and some of the battles against the AI can be strange and messy affairs...

Agree with Rico on all counts. However, with that said, easy learning curve, wide variety of armies, decent campaigns and fun. Last game my troops gained the fortifications and turned their flank. No quarter offered, none given...

Picked this up last week, have dabbled a little, will make a serious attempt soon, like it!

I don't care, but bear in mind it's likely to be a learning experience for me. How about 30 Years war?

Last edited:
I don't care, but bear in mind it's likely to be a learning experience for me. How about 30 Years war?

Ok, I have set up a Multiplayer Challenge for the Battle of Lutzen -- I'll take Swedish side -- you have the Catholic Imperials.

my handle at Slitherine is: RicoFGM

Password: FGM2016

Let see how this works as multiplayer :2charge:

Well I accepted your challenge, it says it's your turn. Please leave your flank exposed so I can turn it. Wash rinse repeat...

no quarter sir, we will be burning you heretics at the stake ( just getting into character....)

Well I accepted your challenge, it says it's your turn. Please leave your flank exposed so I can turn it. Wash rinse repeat...

no quarter sir, we will be burning you heretics at the stake ( just getting into character....)

Cool -- cannon ball is rolling -- not much action yet, only additional force selection screen so far -- back to you. :2charge:

Back