Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

R n R in Somerset

steve

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Just arrived at the site we have booked for 9 nights, it’s called Old Oaks and is only .75 miles from Glastonbury Tor.
Highlights so far have included:
Me breaking something on the caravan before we had even set off, resulting in frantic phone calls and a stop en route to have repair work carried out - BIG shout out To MJ Lovells of Highbridge who delayed existing work to accommodate my stupidity and get us back on the road again.

The utter stupidity of some other drivers towing caravans on the M5 southbound- it was blowing a gale and raining yet these suicide jockeys thought nothing of driving far too fast for the conditions.

Putting up an air awning with the wind howling across our pitch and occasional drowning by the squally showers.

The onsite facilities are excellent and spotless, and the catering was much needed after such a day.

More reports of derring do to follow if I don’t kill myself by doing something dangerous like putting my socks on

View my photos at: https://steve1962.smugmug.com/Old-Oaks

So this afternoon we had squally showers - the caravan is on a pitch that backs onto a hillside…. It started raining
But….. the rain only hit the back of the caravan….

I used to live a couple of miles from Glastonbury a long long time ago, outside a village called Butleigh. I'd walk into town along the river, lovely. I'd also buy great cider by the gallon from a couple of old geezers , Jake and Ruben. That stuff packed a punch indeed, but was as natural as you can get.
Good times!

Just nipped into Wells…. Bloody heaving cos it’s Bank Holiday weekend so had a quick look around inside the cathedral and now heading back the caravan via Sainsbugs. Took a few quick snaps inside the cathedral which will be added to the album later this afternoon.
Weather is thankfully holding up.

Steve

Just arrived at the site we have booked for 9 nights, it’s called Old Oaks and is only .75 miles from Glastonbury Tor.
Highlights so far have included:
Me breaking something on the caravan before we had even set off, resulting in frantic phone calls and a stop en route to have repair work carried out - BIG shout out To MJ Lovells of Highbridge who delayed existing work to accommodate my stupidity and get us back on the road again.

The utter stupidity of some other drivers towing caravans on the M5 southbound- it was blowing a gale and raining yet these suicide jockeys thought nothing of driving far too fast for the conditions.

Putting up an air awning with the wind howling across our pitch and occasional drowning by the squally showers.

The onsite facilities are excellent and spotless, and the catering was much needed after such a day.

More reports of derring do to follow if I don’t kill myself by doing something dangerous like putting my socks on

View my photos at: https://steve1962.smugmug.com/Old-Oaks
How far in advance do you have to book your stay?

How far in advance do you have to book your stay?

We have 3 trips booked this year - this one which is 9 nights, first week in June to a site on the Hants/ Dorset border, and then the first two weeks in August in Norfolk.

All the trips were booked as soon as I could confirm my annual leave at work ( tricky as I am a Facilities Manager with 4 sites in 4 different towns to look after).
By booking early we get to choose a decent pitch upon arrival which is important to us.
We also plan the caravan annual inspection months in advance ( for this yrs one I booked it in October last yr - some folk leave it until the last minute and then have trouble finding someone to do it as they are all booked up - )we need to make sure if there are any issues We can get them sorted in time.
The towing car also gets a service 4-6 weeks beforehand for the same reason

Biblical downpour and thunderstorm late yesterday afternoon which then subsided.
At 9.30 pm torrential rain started again and lasted until around 2 am.
All ok and the Air awning remained waterproof.
This morning we have blue skies and glorious sunshine - what a difference a day makes ( videos added to the photo album).
Steve

With inclement weather due in the South West over the weekend, we decided to head home from Old Oaks a day early.
Cracking site, and although the weather was "changeable" it didn't put us off. We'll definitely be going back to that site as we loved it.
The traffic on the M5 North was heavy, with plenty of motorhomes and cars towing caravans amongst them - I wonder if some of them made the same decision as we did.
There are a few more photos on the album now.

Steve

Back