Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Reference points

P

PJMaybe

I'm just wondering if this is a bug or a mechanic of the game I don't understand.

I have a reference point set on the map. Calling for mortars on it, the pointer changes to a cross symbol and says 'no line of sight'. Yet it will allow me to target other areas around the TRP, some which are further away. I've tried using different HQs to call it in and the mortar squad is blind to the whole area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably needs a screenshot...

You can see the left of the line can be targeted but the point at the right end of the line it says no line of fire - so I can't set the line. Yet that end is even closer to the TRP
Screenshot 2018-12-06 00.14.29.png

Is this an on-map mortar? There might be a tree or something in the way (as in, close to the mortar team).

Mortars do have a minimum range as well, but I don't think that's the problem.

it is on map. You mean if they are set up right next to a building or something it stops the round firing at the right trajectory? It definitely not a range problem

Yeah, if there's a building in the way of the flight path out of the tube they'll not be able to fire the thing. That's obviously a guess in this case (it's not very common, and there are far too many unknowns to consider), but it does happen.

Does it make the connection if you push it up towards the TRP? Not sure exactly how far out your zoomed there but you might be just beyond that. Try going the opposite route... meaning start at the TRP and connect it to your true LOS point. I think a TRP is about a 8x8 grid of the action squares/spots.

About the building blocking LOF for mortars... I dont think this is calculated in the game. Not 100% on this but vaguely recall this being discussed years ago.

This is a rarely seen bug.

I have a game right now where an on-map mortar could target all TRPs except for one.

Other on-map mortars could target this TRP. And the original mortar could target the TRP on the next turn.

I use mortars a lot and they can be incredibly buggy.

Also I believe if the mortar moves they lose use of the trp

No TRPs are useful for all units at all times. IRL what you said would likely be true plus each battery or mortar would have its own TRPs that may or not be in the same place. The game abstracts all that so that TRPs are always useful for every indirect firing unit.

Back