Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Some advice on a new game

• Thread starter Bert Blitzkrieg
  • Start date
B

Bert Blitzkrieg

Can anyone give me some advice on a nice game? Just some game to play on my own to get immersed in. Once had Horse 'n Musket and played that a lot. Rome Total War #1 was a favourite too.

COMMAND: MODERN AIR / NAVAL OPERATIONS seems to be good too, although I fear a little to much to manage and to little action.

I was looking around on Matrix Games but am a little overwhelmed by the huge choice.

It depends on historical period you are looking for.
Some suggestion on what is on my PC.

WW2
- war in the east (turn based, link)
- war in the west (turn based, link)
- Mark H. Walker's Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad (turn based, link)
- Decisive campaign Barbarossa (turn based, link)

Modern
- Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Player's Edition (turn based WEGO, link)

Try Scourge of War Gettysburg or Waterloo

I second War in the East/ Combat Mission.

I have wasted many hours playing War thunder. I am a flying ace..... I bought Red Orchestra 2 for 4$ and it is quite good.

I have wasted many hours with Rome II Total war but get it on sale-it's not a great game but it IS a good time waster....

Thanks for the replies. Had a look at Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Player's Edition already and that looks very promising. Although I'm a bit anxious playing a hex-based game because I never did before and wonder how immersing a game will be in which the player only can place his units, but has no involvement how ell that unit performs in the battle itself.

I will take a look at Advanced Tactica next.

you'll have to think at different scale, army or division, but at the end it's the same approach, look for cover, probe, push, encircle, advance or retreat.

For single units management take a look at those games:

- Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (link)
- Mark H. Walker's Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad (link)

I'll have to check it out, haven't played in ages. Want to pencil in a game in the new year?

I'm up for an Advanced tactics game ... we can take it easy and slow :)

The new upgrade (it's free) is called "A New dawn" --and it introduces leaders with HQ's... you can build standard division unit OOB's and then HQ's try and keep them reinforced automatically... pretty cool.

Let me know if you are still keen.

I'm up for an Advanced tactics game ... we can take it easy and slow :)

The new upgrade (it's free) is called "A New dawn" --and it introduces leaders with HQ's... you can build standard division unit OOB's and then HQ's try and keep them reinforced automatically... pretty cool.

Let me know if you are still keen.

Excellent :)
Give me a day or two to reinstall the game. ;)

Thanks for the replies. Had a look at Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Player's Edition already and that looks very promising. Although I'm a bit anxious playing a hex-based game because I never did before and wonder how immersing a game will be in which the player only can place his units, but has no involvement how ell that unit performs in the battle itself.

I will take a look at Advanced Tactica next.
I picked it up last week and so far likes it a lot. It is a bit different for a hex game in that you give orders and then a long "turn" is played out in which you get to see all the action and how the different units perform. You can only pause at this stage, just like CM. After the battle you get full kill stats for all units. It is not very hard to get started with, but I suspect hard to master. Take a look at Twitch/Youtube to get a sense of how the action is handled.

I picked it up last week and so far likes it a lot. It is a bit different for a hex game in that you give orders and then a long "turn" is played out in which you get to see all the action and how the different units perform. You can only pause at this stage, just like CM. After the battle you get full kill stats for all units. It is not very hard to get started with, but I suspect hard to master. Take a look at Twitch/Youtube to get a sense of how the action is handled.

What are you referring to?

Back