Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Those three little letters: R...T...S (a.k.a. - Armored Brigade)

I concur @Rico but despair not. According to Juha Kellokoski, the main programmer and game designer, the game allows a kind of incremental turn play if I understand correctly what he says in an Armored Brigade Developer Interview. There may be hope, compadre. See my underlined italics quote below.

J.k. I think the uniqueness comes from the combination of detailed combat, and from being able to zoom in and see the tank commanders scanning around and the individual men and casualties, and then zoom out and witness the tactical map that has enough space to cover a full 122mm artillery range. The game is very flexible and supports multiple ways of playing it; in pausable real-time or in custom-length “rounds”. All that comes with a dynamic AI opponent and unlimited replayability. There are features rarely seen in wargames, such as asymmetrically placed objectives (different for both sides), identifying enemy units as hostile before engaging, fake “neutral” units etc. It's a very unique package, never before seen in computer wargaming.​

Agreed - I have been watching it too. While is is played like an RTS I am under the impression that you can play at an operational level where you have to manage your forces and resources but you are not pumping weapons from factories like a silly RTS game. It is still 2D though which seem odd but I suppose that makes sense when you are controlling Brigade level forces.

I watched the 2.5 hour "Big Reveal" for Armored Brigade today on Twitch TV. (Click the "Watch Now" window in the upper right corner of the media image.)

It strikes me as a cross between "Steel Panthers" and "Command Ops 2" with some "Combat Mission x 1" (Isometric view) thrown it. It's highly detailed and appears quite deep; certainly a Grog's game. I suspect there is a steep learning curve. It's not a game that you might pick up to "run and gun". I look forward to seeing how it develops. It is definitely worth watching. I'm impressed.

The "Reveal" did not not address it, but I am very curious about setting incremental phases of time instead of straight real-time play. It's not quite WeGo in that it doesn't have phase re-play. But it might make the game WeGo like enough to satisfy me. As you say, @rocketman, we should stay tuned and watch closely!! Game should release before end of the year.

Huh, I thought this game was dead. I think I still have some of the old versions stowed away on some external hard drive, back from when Kellokoski was making the game as a hobby and released it online for free.

New game announced over at Matrix ... Armored Brigade ... cold war ... sounds cool ... the I see those 3 little lettere: RTS

Goodbye.

What is this bloody obsession with designing RTS click-fests?
So 400 actions per minute on your keyboard isn't obtainable? :p But yes, I appreicate the skills that some of these professional StarCraft players have but at the same time feel sorry for them. When you get to that level playing a game can't be fun anymore.

I'm actually surprised that recently more and more titles in the strategy and RPG space appear to have ditched real time or at least have an untimed pause option to plan out things in detail. I think the AAA success of the new XCOM's had something to do with that.

So 400 actions per minute on your keyboard isn't obtainable? :p But yes, I appreicate the skills that some of these professional StarCraft players have but at the same time feel sorry for them. When you get to that level playing a game can't be fun anymore.

I'm actually surprised that recently more and more titles in the strategy and RPG space appear to have ditched real time or at least have an untimed pause option to plan out things in detail. I think the AAA success of the new XCOM's had something to do with that.

Also watched some of the RTS game replays on Youtube ... and it's stuff like you're watching one side of the map and some of your tanks blow up on other side of map -- you have no idea what just happened (no replay option) -- then you dash over to other side of map ... etc ... and all the close-up eye candy graphics are pointless as you have to keep watching the map from extreme zoom out to have an overview of what's going down... it's idiotic.

I love the old Baldur's Gate infinity engine series of RPGs. The combat system, which for a fantasy RPG was quite complex, was "real time" but you could hit spacebar anytime you wanted to pause the game, and you could issue orders to your party members while the game was paused. It was quite workable and fun to play. My nephew and I started playing the game at the same time. After we had been playing about a week, he was complaining that the combat was too hard. One day he came over to my house to watch me play, and was astounded when I paused the game to issue orders! Lol.

By the way, those interested in "Armored Brigade" can check out the Matrix games developers' forum here.
Two posts of general interest to FGM members are quoted below.

1) Here is a Developer post about PBEM and configurable "turns" of play -

Play-by-mail in a real-time game?*
To quote Ben Kuchera: "Making video games is hard. Making online multiplayer games is even harder. This is a fact of life that’s obvious to developers, but sadly is often lost on players and some members of the press.".
I don't know how many people realize how hard it is to integrate multiplayer, particularly so after you have based your whole architecture over the single-player mode. From the outside it seems magical: two or more players sharing a consistent experience across the network like they actually exist together in the same virtual world. But what is actually going on underneath is quite different from what you see on surface. However, those issues (latency, desynchronization, remote peer networking etc.) are solvable like any other obstacle with sufficient time on hand and possibly some more resources.
But the largest problem is client base itself: the silent majority of players in this gaming niche are single-player only, and the number of players we are likely to get with multiplayer simply isn't there to support it.
Since we are a very small indie team, imagine investing enormous amount of time and other extremely limited resources only to get a half-baked single-player and likely initially empty servers, that will only discourage others from jumping on, creating a self-perpetuating problem.
That is why we have concentrated all our forces on creating a dynamic and workable AI, core of which was developed and tested for years already. If this game sells well and there is sufficient demand, we will consider implementing multiplayer with pleasure, but until then we shall keep concentrating on more humble objectives.
*Armored Brigade can be played by using custom length ‘rounds’. The game still runs in real-time engine, but it is not possible to pause the game manually. Time stops automatically when a round ends, and the player can start the next round when he wants to. It’s not possible to save the game when a round is in progress. The round length is adjusted in the scenario launch options. It can be 30, 60, 90, 180 or 360 seconds. New orders can be issued anytime, during the round or between the rounds.

2) Also, here is a post I submitted and the Developer's response

MY POST:​
This seems a complex game rich in depth and detail. I am impressed. Truth be told, I'm also a bit intimidated by it. It appears to have a steep learning curve. It is not a pick up and go / "run and gun" wargame.
While watching the first hour of the video just show force selection, I thought it would be nice to have a player aid checklist of some sort for doing that when I play this game myself. I also wondered what kinds of in-game tutorials would be available for new players. For me, it would be nice to see a selection of pre-canned (forces already selected) Company level training missions at the Fort Irwin Training Center for the 60's, 70's and 80's US Army TO&E's. A menu selection of multiple, introductory-to-increasingly complex training missions comprising pure infantry, pure armor, combined infantry/armor, combined arms infantry/armor/organic mortars, combined arms infantry/armor/artillery and so forth which build up to inclusion of organic air defense artillery and rotary wing / fixed wing air support. Players could then more easily pick and chose how they want to learn the game and grow their skills at their own pace. I think a Youtube channel with basic to advanced tutorial videos for learning such missions would be helpful as well.

DEV RESPONSE:​
We have several so-called sample scenarios, those are similar to tutorial missions. There is also a hint system for most if not all buttons and we have prepared a hefty manual. Veteran tactical gamers should have little problem understanding the mechanics and adapting quickly.
We are planning to release a series of short videos covering some of the key features in the game, but we haven't yet decided all the topics to be covered; so a suggestion like this is helpful.

Play-by-mail in a real-time game?*
To quote Ben Kuchera: "Making video games is hard. Making online multiplayer games is even harder. This is a fact of life that’s obvious to developers, but sadly is often lost on players and some members of the press.".

:-( Made me sad. I was hoping to hear that there would be multiplayer and as much as people seem to be totally into playing in real time on servers that is not something that interests me - I don't have several hours of uninterrupted time at a regular or reasonable time of day. Oh well given no viable way for me to play a real human and lack of any way to watch replays I don't see myself purchasing this game.

:-( Made me sad. I was hoping to hear that there would be multiplayer and as much as people seem to be totally into playing in real time on servers that is not something that interests me - I don't have several hours of uninterrupted time at a regular or reasonable time of day. Oh well given no viable way for me to play a real human and lack of any way to watch replays I don't see myself purchasing this game.

I completely understand. I compare the availability of computer wargames to Smörgåsbord; not everything on table suits everyone's tastes. I am always keen to know what to expect.
It's good to be informed about what a game offers. I am always grateful to FGM members who explain and display the games they play. :cheerso:

Back