Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Upcoming Ardennes Tour

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I just received the itinerary from our guide for the tour my brothers and I are taking of the Ardennes this coming May.
We’ve been planning a quite a while and it finally looks like it is coming to fruition.
I’m pretty excited about it all and wanted to share with some enthusiasts.

Our guide this time is Edwin Popken from the Netherlands.
http://www.battlefielddiscovery.com/

I hope you don’t mind, (you’re probably tired of seeing my avatar at the top of the page) but I would like to do another “Tour” thread when we get back.
(Perhaps I should keep all six days in one thread.)

In doing the research and posting here I tend to learn in better detail where we were and what we have seen.
And it gives me a chance to give something back to the FGM.

Anyway, below is the itinerary.

If any of you have been there and have any highlights or insights or what tp pay special attention to please let me know.

Tour II – Ardennes Itinerary

Day one - Huertgenwald

I will pick you up at the hotel in Monschau. We will then drive towards the Huertgenwald.

Locations we will be visiting there are:

- Westwall bunkers
- German Cemetery - short visit, mainly because of grave Field Marshal Model
- Vossenack - attack by 28th Division.
From there we will do a walk in the footsteps of 28th Division towards Schmidt, along the way seeing the following:

- River Kall / aid station
- Lost tank track
- Foxholes of US soldiers
Back to Vossenack to pick up the car
- the attack on Schmidt
- Hill 400 - the attack by
- HQ General Cota

Time allowing we may stop and wander a bit into the woods between Hill 400 and HQ Cota, so you get a good idea of the terrain the US army was fighting through.

During the day we will come to know several US Divisions getting decimated in the Huertgenwald and being send of to a quiet spot on the front … only to bear the brunt of the German attack during the opening of The Ardennes Offensive.

Day two - Northern Sector Ardennes Offensive

This day focuses on the most northern side of the German offensive, part of which was actually the main attack by several SS Panzer Divisions as well as supporting Infantry Divisions. The actions we will cover during this day we essential in halting the Germain main thrust towards Antwerp.

- Muetzenich - the northern tip
- Hoefen - Germans fail to break through US lines
- Heartbreak Crossroads - diversionary attack stopped
- Kringelter Wald - the battle babies hold up the German advance
- Lausdell Crossroads - the death of a battalion
- Rocherath Krinkelt - the battle of the Twin Villages
- Buellingen / Mueringen - almost surrounded
- Losheimergraben - frustrating the initial attack
- Dom Buetgenbach - ‘We fight and die here!’
- Malmedy - the failed attack of Panzer Brigade 150

Day three - in the trail of Kampfgruppe Peiper

KG Peiper was the spearhead of the German assault. But is was also the most brutal German unit in the Ardennes, accountable for the Malmedy Massacre and other war crimes. We will follow the trail of his Kampfgruppe and see how it was time and again frustrated by small US units until finally halted, encircled and destroyed.

- Losheim - problems before crossing the start line
- Lanzerath - I&R platoon holds up an entire regiment
- Honsfeld - the killing of POWs starts
- Buellingen - capturing gas
- Thirimont - yet another detour
- Baugnez - the Malmedy Massacre
- Ligneuville - yet more killing in cold blood
- Stavelot - capturing a river crossing
- Trois Ponts - Peiper’s frustration grows
- Habiemont - ‘Those damned engineers’
- Stoumont Station - the furthest point
- Stoumont - the battle for Stoumont
- Cheneux - 504 Parachute Infantry Regiment suicide attack
- La Gleize - the German perimeter / King Tiger
- La Venne - Breakout

Day four - DAY OFF
Changing hotels Monschau -> Clervaux

Day five - Schnee Eiffel to Manhay

The attack towards St Vith was vital for the German assault. St Vith was THE crossroads town the Germans needed to support their attack westwards. We will follow the battle in this sector from the Schnee Eiffel, towards St Vith and back to Manhay where the Germans we eventually stopped.

- Bleialf - 106 ID surrounded in no time
- Schonberg - struggling to keep the life line open for 106 ID
- Pruemer Berg - Engineers block access to St Vith
- Crombach - 7th AD slowly falling back from St Vith
- Commanster - avoiding encirclement
- Baraque de Fraiture - Parker’s Crossroads
- Manhay & Grandmenil - stopping the advance of 2nd SS Panzer Division at Christmas / Panther Tank

Day six - The race to the Meuse

This day we will follow the exploits of several Panzer Divisions. Mainly the 116.Panzer Division but also parts of 2. Panzer Division, as both of these got into position to make a dash towards the Meuse. We will see how these advances were stopped, virtually resulting in the annihilation of the 2. Panzer Division.

- Hosingen - holding off the Germans for vital hours
- Hupperdange - the frustrating start of 116. Panzer Division
- Houffalize - 82nd Airborne squeezes through / Panther Tank
- Wibrin - The sherman tank of Wibrin
- Samree - 116. Panzer Division captures much needed fuel
- Hotton - defending the bridge
- Verdenne - 116. Panzer Division stopped cold
- Celles / Foy-Notre-Dame - The Germans reach their furthest point / the anihalation of 2. Panzer Division / Panther Tank

Day seven - The race for Bastogne / fighting around Bastogne perimeter

Our final tour day focuses on Bastogne. Starting in the trail of Panzer Lehr we will follow its exploits to be in Bastogne before the Americans (i.e. 101 Airborne Division) could seal it off. We will discuss why the Germans lost and the Americans won this race. Next we will tour around the Bastogne perimeter, stopping at several locations of interest to the battle of Bastogne.

- Niederwampach - Panzer Lehr nearly bugs down in the mud
- Margeret - Crucial mistakes by Panzer Lehr
- Bois Jacques - Easy Company (e/506) foxholes on the perimeter
- Noville - 2. Panzer Division crashes into team Desobry
- Foy - the January 1945 attack by e/506
- Longchamps - 12. SS Panzer Division final attempt to break into Bastogne
- Champs - A German tank attack from the rear?
- Flamisoul - The German Christmas Day attack
- Herbaimont - Airborne Field Hospital overrun by 2. Panzer Division
- Assenois Bunker - Patton’s 3rd Army break through
- Remoifosse - The German call to surrender Bastogne

Each day we start at 0900 from the hotel. Depending on progress, the day’s itinerary, distance to hotel from final location of the day, etc. I plan to be back at the hotel between 1700 and 1800. I also reserved 1 hour for lunch during each day. Naturally we can adjust on the go as things progress.

Please let me know what you all think of the itinerary, if you have any questions or proposed changes, etc.
Looking forward to start this tour with you all.

Be sure to check poteu where an interesting museum is located.
Near poteu was the site of a brief encounter between Waffen SS and US forces which was captured by German war correspondents a well known war footage.

If you are font of war museums you must visit the war museum in the city of Luxemburg.

@Cargol I'm afraid there will not be time for museums.
I want to see as much as we can in the field while we have our guide.
We do have a travel day in the middle where we will spend only about 1 1/2 hours driving.
Perhaps we could do a museum in the afternoon. :)

Already jealous. When you start that thread up outlining your exploits let me know and I'll sticky it for the members. The last lot of threads received quite a bit of interest. I may actually let the Normandy ones drop down the list now though if your happy for that to occur.

Already jealous. When you start that thread up outlining your exploits let me know and I'll sticky it for the members. The last lot of threads received quite a bit of interest. I may actually let the Normandy ones drop down the list now though if your happy for that to occur.

Transfer them to historical discussion.

During a family anniversary we were very near Celles in Southern Belgium and saw that Panther. Never knew the Germans got that far. We had a nice time counting all the hits on the Panther and guessing/discussing with what rounds the armour was penetrated.

Enjoy your trip and the time with your brothers!

@Ithikial

Will do. I'll let you know.
I appreciate the time you left the Normandy adventure up top. No worries you want to relocate it.
I hope by putting it in the historical discussion as Bootie suggests, it may, well, start a discussion. :)
There were a lot of hits but not much discussion it seems.
I was very happy to see the 6 days brought over 20,000 hits. - And even today there are still a couple everyday.
I hope everyone enjoyed it, perhaps learned something and maybe picked up a tip or two for their own future tour of Normandy and the Cotentin Peninsula.

Actually Ithikal, we first go back to Normandy for a 3 day tour following the 1SS Panzer Corps in and around Caen then it's off to the Ardennes.
So make room because I'll have lots to blather about ;)

Back