Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Where will you be (or where you want to be) when you are 65?

B

Bierbauch

I know that this is a rhetorical question but I want you all to think for a minute. When I was in High School I knew I would live for ever. When I was in Vietnam I knew I would not see 20. When I was 30 I knew I would not see 65 and collect Social Security. When I turned 65 I realized-crap-I sure wish I would have given this "life thing" more thought and planned ahead a little bit. Anyway-no matter where you are in life-it is not too late to think about "what will happen" before you are 65.

I too have forgotten where I was when I was 65, but I now know where I want to be, and that I am not there yet ( and maybe never will get there)

At 65 I was expecting to work for one more year. Then my employer intimated that it was No Company for Old Men and offered a very generous early retirement incentive bonus. I retired at 65 1/2, became a ward of the state with a decent IRA set up from 401k savings, and continue learning how to live on a fixed income while finally getting to all the war-games I've been planning to play! :cheerso:

I'm 62, I retired at 59 using some Deferred compensation money I saved while working. That got me by until I was 59 1/2 when I was able to use my some of my IRA money. Then at 60 I was able to collect my County pension money, then at 62 I ws eligible for Social Security. I make more money retired than I did working. (I was dumping a lot into Deferred Comp.) I have no regrets as to how my life went or how it is going currently. I do want to travel to Europe a few times while I still get around good. I have done almost everything in my life that a guy could ask for EXCEPT skydive. I am a bit too heavy to do it, but I intend to lose a few pounds and get that done as well. Just shot a Machine gun afew months ago, that was on the list.

Given your schedule, understood. Then again when your 65, you’ll wish you were 51 again.

My schedule is of my own choosing, so I try not to complain about it. It's nice to have four days off every week. ;-)

I may have got my math wrong. I'm 52, and will turn 53 soon, so perhaps I *only* have 13 more years to work. :)

Retired 56... now 66, grandchildren rule (six so far). Pushed out of my company by suppliers, expected to work until I was 70... fortunately have good pension and funding.
Regrets... not building those models while I had good eyesight and a steady hand, now have a garage of unmade models, and paint, but lost the will to do so!
Still need at least an additional six hours a day, Sit down to long... nod off, groans compulsory when bending and standing.

PS You never stop working... it just has different names... best thing is just enjoy it!

Also thinking what I have done, flight in a Tiger moth, piloted for a while, tank driving, Hot air balloon, Simulator on a Boeing 737, and a Spitfire, not counting my overseas holidays, 9 grandchildren, 3 Great grandchildren, 2 wives not together I might had...…. Stella the second one was best, worked up to 72 was going to try get to 75, company then decided that the old blokes at to go, thinking back they did me a favour ….. Happy days

I'm 62 with 3 months to go before retirement.
Then I plan on spending my time designing tournaments for the FGM and all you 'ol coots.

Actually I like to say I'm 30 with 32 years experience.
Get in contact with Badger and myself when the time comes. ;)

I'm 34, single with no kids (that I know about) so unfortunately I can't see that far ahead. The career focused mindset that's dominated my first decade in the post university workforce is starting to wear thin these past 18 months of hell. I can't comment about being 65 but sometime in the future I'd like to drop down to 4 days a week. I'm on the cusp of being able to pull in a 6 figure salary on a 4 day work week so why not? Everything else is looking alright with the mortgage being paid off at double the minium pace. Yeah not having kids is really great. :D

186.jpg

Where I want to be when I'm 65 (47 atm)? In a place where I'm still curious about life and everything about it. And a grand master wargamer :sneaky:
I will have written a book and designed my first wargame (plenty of ideas for both).

I'm 34, single with no kids

We never had kids either. I sometimes wonder if I would have been a good parent or not, and what old age will be like without any kids. But then, I've had my mortgage paid off and have been debt free for years, so there is that.

From what I understand, many men of your generation are not only choosing to not have kids, but are also choosing to stay single. My oldest nephew (now 40) was married for a few years in his late 20s, but it ultimately wound up in divorce (no kids, thank goodness). He has been single for many years now, owns his own house, has a good job and a nice vehicle. He is also making extra payments on his mortgage and will probably have the house paid off in ten years. He seems perfectly content being single. He has a group of friends (most married, with kids) that he spends time with every other week or so, gaming, watching sports, etc.

My other nephew (now 39), on the other hand, is happily married, with three great boys. The oldest just started college.

This movie clip reminds me of my oldest nephew:

Then again, I sometimes worry about the future of western civilization if too many of the, um, brighter, people choose not to have kids.....

Reactions: mTk
Then again, I sometimes worry about the future of western civilization if too many of the, um, brighter, people choose not to have kids.....
Sadly the more educated people become the average number of children they have does diminish. Statistically proven over a long time series across virtually all countries. Japan is a funny case. Generally the stats relate to the educational attainment of the mother. The more educated the populous the more opportunities and distractions they have that keeps them out of the bedroom and from reproducing young age and often. :p

Sadly the more educated people become the average number of children they have does diminish. Statistically proven over a long time series across virtually all countries. Japan is a funny case. Generally the stats relate to the educational attainment of the mother. The more educated the populous the more opportunities and distractions they have that keeps them out of the bedroom and from reproducing young age and often. :p

I've heard that Japan has extremely low natality rates. Is there a date projected on current trends when Japan might cross the point of no return on the road to extinction?

Back