Your Favourite Aircraft Growing Up

Now I'm feeling old- my favourite was an Italian biplane - the CR42- just something about it. Early kit present I think. In later life I I liked the early jets, sabre and English electric lightning. Friend of mine had a large photo if an old 'lightning' on an MOD range - fabulous...

OK. just one more.
I was an Air Force brat and occasionally I'd go with my dad out to the flight line.
I got to see this bad boy up close and personal. Thought it was the most amazing thing.
No points for ID'ing it, but you know you'll look it up. :D
0597204.jpg

When I was 36 my folks bought me an hour in a Warrior - it was brilliant. I was playing a lot of flight sims at the time, and when I got in the cockpit with the trainer, I grabbed the controls enthusiastically to which he said - "Oh- fighter pilot are we?"
:oops:

Enjoy your flights - great stuff.

I always had a soft spot for the B17, a couple of months ago there was an air show in Dublin and I got a fleeting glimpse of the aircraft.
A couple of days later I had a regular customer in my taxi, a man in his late 80's or early 90's wearing a RAF blazer (jacket), I asked was he an old war horse and he answered he flew Halifax/Lancaster bombers in the war, was shot down and captured in February 1945. I asked did he see the B17 flying over, he said he did, he didn't like them because of the low bomb load they carried. I couldn't argue with that, now my favorite bombers where the British ones.

I live not that far from Leeuwarden AFB, and in my youth the airforce still flew a lot. What we often heard and saw was this:

F104 Starfighter!!

Bu they didn't come as low as this:

The Hun...that would be the image to the left.

Also like the SR 71, the F-22, FA-18, SU-27 Flanker, Mig 29, the Eurofighter, The Rafale, The Viggen, the Warthog and the XB-70...

Be back with my WW 2 list another day...

As a kid in 1980 I saw this movie, Final Countdown ... cheesy SF movie about the carrier Nimitz travelling through a time vortex to arrive exactly just before Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour... since then had soft spot for the F-14 Tomcat -- long time before Top Gun. :)

F-14A_Tomcats_of_VF-84_during_The_Final_Countdown_filming_1979.jpg

Ha ! I remember that movie .. !

I agree lads. I used to make the models of Hurricanes , Spitfires and especially the Lancaster ..but as a kid I used to do a newspaper run every morning and one day all us kids who delivered received a free ticket to a movie ... Firefox ! Clint Eastwood as the goodie and I still remember how exciting it was to be in that movie theatre ...

@combatwombat I thought you were going to say all you kids got a free kit, and it reminded me of coming home from school to find two shoe boxes full of painted models from a guy in our street - the usual story I am sure his wife made him throw them out, and I was the lucky recipient! That was back when I was happy to just stick em together... He also gave me two fabulous books on Ww2 planes, the pages were roughly a3 size and each plane was a double page spread, info and photos one side, and a technical drawing, side, top and bottom on the other - pure magical gold for a young boy...

OK. just one more.
I was an Air Force brat and occasionally I'd go with my dad out to the flight line.
I got to see this bad boy up close and personal. Thought it was the most amazing thing.
No points for ID'ing it, but you know you'll look it up. :D
0597204.jpg
Small world, I am an air force brat too. That would be an F-102. Your dad was in ADC? My dad flew the Hun and the F-111.

Barry aka HOA_KSOP

Back