Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

75mm L 70 / 42 KwK - What does it mean??

And more importantly different amount of propellant and different case lengths. All three main variants of the German 75mm tank guns used ammunition with different case lengths, 75×243mm for the L/24, 75×495mm for the L/43 and L/48, 75×640mm for the L/70.

True, but propellant amount is linked with barrel length - you need a longer barrel to benefit from more propellant, and more propellant to benefit from a longer barrel.

German logistics was actually good. The big problem was that they took on too much at the same time and the production numbers could not match the attrition rate, especialy towards the end of the war.

German logistics was actually good.

One thing that always puzzled me is that so much is made of the German difficulties transporting supplies deep into Russia, because of the huge distances involved, but apparently the Red Army had no such trouble when the war started to go the other way. Even though the Germans systematically destroyed infrastructure behind them as they retreated.

German logistics was actually good. The big problem was that they took on too much at the same time and the production numbers could not match the attrition rate, especialy towards the end of the war.
I would say that the production and distribution of certain items were an issue. For example, the Germans built roughly 1000 ME-262's, but never had enough fuel to get more than 100 airborne at any one time.

Last edited:
For example, the Germans built roughly 1000 ME-262

Wow, just learnt something new.. that really surprised me. Wikipedia even gives the number built as 1,430! I always thought just a few of those had been made late in the war..

Wow, just learnt something new.. that really surprised me. Wikipedia even gives the number built as 1,430! I always thought just a few of those had been made late in the war..
Just imagine what havoc could have been created if the Luftwaffe could have launched1000 ME 262's against a 1000 bomber daylight raid, Throw in all the FW190's and Me109's as well and it could have been a devastating day for the Mighty 8th...a truly terrible "what if" to contemplate...

The problem very late in the war was not just fuel, but lack of trained pilots as well. There is also the question of how many of those 1,430 ME-262s were actually 100% completed and flyable. Towrads the end of the war, Germans tended to count a lot of airplanes a produced even though they were missing vital components.

Back