Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[A WORD ABOUT] CHEATING

"Exploiting"? Nobody here on FGM actually says "exploiting". Don't be a pusscake.

There is exploiting and exploiting. Don't kid yourself if you achieve a Total Victory. You sit behind a PC and can rewind every stupid mistake. Not possible in RL you have the most up to date Intel by Borg Spotting and conveniently let the right HQ move to the square nearby the private who spotted the key unit. By the way, I enjoyed Gran Torino. ;)

There is exploiting and exploiting. Don't kid yourself if you achieve a Total Victory. You sit behind a PC and can rewind every stupid mistake. Not possible in RL you have the most up to date Intel by Borg Spotting and conveniently let the right HQ move to the square nearby the private who spotted the key unit. By the way, I enjoyed Gran Torino. ;)

Several forum members are cringing right now....waiting for me to go full on curmudgeon, tear into you, and possibly embarrass everyone.

Nah. Well said, Sir. I agree.

I like sweet cakes ;) Playing the British Drive on the Dreijenseweg. It is weird after all these years playing on an area I used to visit as a kid. The 'cheating' can't be avoided you need to get rid of the trees to plot your moves. It becomes obvious where the German positions are. The editor has done an excellent job otherwise. Approach had to go through a wooded area. Just visited the place on Google Maps.

Dreijenseweg.jpg

@ChuckDyke many people here mainly/only play against other players (PBEM), not against the AI. If both players can rewind every mistake, there is a level playing field.

@ChuckDyke many people here mainly/only play against other players (PBEM), not against the AI. If both players can rewind every mistake, there is a level playing field.

That's a good point @Lethaface . It never even crossed my mind, until the past couple of days watching this thread, that anyone ever actually plays CM against the AI anymore.

TBH I don't have a clue, I have some people to play with on Hotseat. I don't have a Dropbox account just OneDrive of Microsoft. Sometimes the AI acts like a firing range with timed turning targets.

I apologize. I sometimes come off as a bit brusque and rough on the forums. :)

If you want to try PBEM, PM me. I'll try to help you set up a free Dropbox account, and we can play a few non-ladder games, if you want.

Truth be told, PBEM is the only real way to play CM, IMO. Playing against the AI is just, at best, "practice mode".

I apologize. I sometimes come off as a bit brusque and rough on the forums. :)

If you want to try PBEM, PM me. I'll try to help you set up a free Dropbox account, and we can play a few non-ladder games, if you want.

Truth be told, PBEM is the only real way to play CM, IMO. Playing against the AI is just, at best, "practice mode".

Agreed, once you play a human, the AI is a very poor excuse for an opponent.

You'd think after 20-25 years they would have a competent AI opponent. You'd think if they have a military version of the game, it was once upon said they did work for Uncle to provide a tactical training sim (Shock Force) to the military, they maybe could sneak some better AI into the commercial release. God knows they have not spent their time improving the graphics engine or the DRM/update system...or the survivability of half-track MG operators...

TBH I don't have a clue, I have some people to play with on Hotseat. I don't have a Dropbox account just OneDrive of Microsoft. Sometimes the AI acts like a firing range with timed turning targets.
Chuck, once you get by MG's "rough exterior" he's a helluva sumbitch.

You'd think after 20-25 years they would have a competent AI opponent. You'd think if they have a military version of the game, it was once upon said they did work for Uncle to provide a tactical training sim (Shock Force) to the military, they maybe could sneak some better AI into the commercial release. God knows they have not spent their time improving the graphics engine or the DRM/update system...or the survivability of half-track MG operators...
The military has a different purpose for wargames I imagine. It's a purpose to produce a model which works in real life. I agree, try to use the 0.50 in a tactically correct way impossible.

Thank you very much, for the invitations. At present, I play on Hotseat twice a week with my brother. I play on Iron otherwise; I agree the AI becomes predictable. AI attacks? It is like they use Japanese Banzai Attacks. I use two military YouTube Channels for my references if I quote tactics.

The military has a different purpose for wargames I imagine. It's a purpose to produce a model which works in real life. I agree, try to use the 0.50 in a tactically correct way impossible.
I know that the strategy gamer interviewed the developer of CM and he explained how the military used their games. One of the things the military could get from their version was amount of rounds expended by caliber in report format. I need to go back and watch that vid again,

Back