Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

American Aviation

Uh, Pilots?
Why would they hit the brakes after take-off?
I am just guessing, but the wheels were probably spinning. They may have wanted to stop the spinning before the landing gear for stowed.

Seems like a terrible thing to build into muscle memory.

Reactions: mTk
@Nemesis @Nort @mTk
The source said: A B-24 Liberator (serial number 44-50468) of the 455th Bomb Group, 15th Air Force which crashed landed on its nose as a result of a freak accident on take off. Handwritten caption on reverse: 'Extraordinary take off crash, Italy.'
Six of the crew died in the crash - 21 April, 1945

A comment said: "The pilots accidentally hit the brakes while the plane was still in contact with the runway. It was common for pilots to hit the brakes before retracting the wheels after takeoff, they just did it too early".

An inspector looks over a Mustang Mk I fighter.jpg

An inspector with North American Aviation in Inglewood, California, looks over a Mustang Mk I fighter destined for the British Royal Air Force in fall 1942. In March of 1941, the US Congress passed the Lend/Lease Act which permitted the "lending" of US built aircraft to nations that were "vital to the security of the United States". This allowed the US to place an order for 150 Mustangs to be sent to Brittan. This allocation was NA-91, RAF designation of Mustang Ia. The Mustang Ia was equipped with four Hispano 20mm cannons installed in the wings. The nose guns were deleted. Out of the 150 ordered, only 111 were serialed for the RAF and probably less than that actually received. After the attack of Pearl Harbor, the US Army held the remaining Lend/Lease order of NA-91s to Brittan. These, about 55, were designated P-51 and were fitted with four .50 cal guns instead of the cannons. But not all were configured with the Brownings. Cameras were added and a new designation of F-6A. The US Army actually called the NA-91s "Apache".

Kingfisher floatplane, Pensacola, Florida,1941.
pEdfx3S.jpg

You guys remember back in 1985 Spielberg produced a series called “Amazing Stories”.
It had a bit of a Twilight Zone feel about it.
One episode was called “The Mission” about a shot up B-17 whose ball turret gunner couldn’t get out of the turret and the bombers landing gear would not go down.

I just looked it up again and didn’t realize it had a (very) young Kevin Costner and Kiefer Sutherland.

Back