Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

American Civil War 1861-1865

The corporal G.H. Swift, of the Company C, 18th Massachusetts, was injured at the battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, on May 3, 1863, when a musket ball fractured the top of his skull.
Surgeons attempted to trephine the wound but halted the procedure upon discovering that the inner surface of the skull was not fractured.
Corporal Swift died on May 17 same year.
29.jpg

The Federal Ironclad Galena, in Virginia's James River, 1862.
y2VI3mJ.jpg

Then & now...
The Price, Birch & Company building (1315 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia) 1862. Was the second largest slave centre in the USA. When Union soldiers entered the city in May 1861, the building was abandoned. Today the building is home to the Freedom House museum, where the visitors stand witness to the powerful stories of the enslaved in the same space where they were once held.
1wbpmNJ.png

ryJQsDd.png

"The war produced about 1,030,000 casualties (3% of the population), including about 620,000 soldier deaths—two-thirds by disease, and 50,000 civilians.] Binghamton University historian J. David Hacker believes the number of soldier deaths was approximately 750,000, 20% higher than traditionally estimated, and possibly as high as 850,000. The war accounted for roughly as many American deaths as all American deaths in other U.S. wars combined."
- Wikipedia

........and did you know that apparently the first casualty of this war was not killed by bullet nor cannon, but in fact after being bitten by a Coral Snake, also known as the American Cobra - just seen this on a documentary (currently trying to search the fact out on Google).

Steve

Those guns are much larger than the cannon usually referred to, in that era, as "Napoleons", which was the 12 Lbr field piece. Those are some kind of coastal defense artillery pieces. Perhaps 8"(203mm) Columbiads? I Don't think they look big enough to be the 10" (254mm) version.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can probably easily ID them.

Some info on the battle here.......

The report by Major Thomas T. Taylor makes for great reading, and gives a superb insight into his mindset and the action in the battle.

Steve

Last edited:
I've been to Gettysburg quite a few times.
I've been to many battlefields and Gettysburg is the most interpretive.
It remains very close to what it looked like in 1863.
There are unit monuments located where they actually fought. Many placed just a year or two after the war.
There are even flank markers for these units.
For a small fee you can hire a licensed battlefield guide who will go in to much detail.
I highly recommend a visit here.

Back