Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

American Miscellaneous

Workers in the deck of the USS Oklahoma in May 1943, shortly after it was refloated after the sinking on Dec 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor.
bsUiHi1.jpg

Amazing how quickly or even how they can refloat a battleship.

Here's a fact that this post led me too that I had no idea of.....

USS Nevada

The USS Nevada was moored behind Arizona on December 7, 1941, and was the only battleship to get underway that morning. Though she was run aground off Hospital Point to avoid blocking the channel, the effort to escape boosted morale among service members that day.
After many missions in the Pacific, Nevada was sent to Europe. On June 6, 1944, she served as the flagship for the D-Day invasion. The USS Nevada was the only ship present at both Pearl Harbor and Normandy.

5cVupfN.jpg

"USS Nevada (BB-36), eldest (by a few months) of the battleships in Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, was hit by one torpedo during the last part of the Japanese torpedo planes' attack. This opened a large hole in the ship's port side below her two forward turrets. Her anti-torpedo protection, of a type back-fitted to the Navy's older battleships, resisted the warhead's explosion fairly well. However, serious leaks were started in the inmost bulkhead, allowing a considerable amount of water into the ship.

The damaged Nevada got underway at 0840, about a half-hour after she was torpedoed, backed clear of her berth, and began to steam down the channel toward the Navy Yard. The slowly moving battleship was an attractive target for Japanese dive bombers, which hit and near-missed her repeatedly, opening up her forecastle deck, causing more leaks in her hull, starting gasoline fires forward and other blazes in her superstructure and midships area. Now in serious trouble, Nevada was run aground on the Navy Yard side of the channel, just south of Ford Island.

As her crew fought her many fires, the ship twisted around until she was facing back up the harbor. With the help of tugs, Nevada then backed across the way and grounded, stern-first, on the other side of the channel. Her old, much-modified structure proved itself to be anything but watertight, and water traveled inexorably throughout the ship. By the following day, she had settled to the bottom, fortunately in fairly shallow water. There she was to remain for over two months, the subject of one of the first of Pearl Harbor's many demanding salvage projects. Of USS Nevada's crew of nearly 1500, fifty officers and men were killed in action during the Pearl Harbor raid." - Naval History and Heritage Command
----
I did not know that. That she was beached stern first.

Related to Pearl Harbor, I copy and paste a post I made a few years ago:

"...On the attack, a ship, the USS Phoenix (CL-46) or "Lucky Phoenix", a light cruiser, steamed past the flaming Battleship Row and out to sea without being hit. Observers on the Phoenix saw the incoming Japanese planes and her crewmen immediately began firing at the enemy. One nearby bomb burst killed one of her crew, her only loss during the entire war.

003.jpg

USS Phoenix passing the battleships West Virginia and Arizona at Pearl Harbor in 1941

The Phoenix was decommissioned on 3 July 1946, and remained at Philadelphia until sold to Argentina on april 9, 1951.
She was commissioned in the Argentine Navy as "Diecisiete de Octubre" (C-4) on 17 October 1951, renamed "ARA General Belgrano" in 1956.

Finally the "General Belgrano", was sunk during the Falklands War on may 2, 1982, by the attack submarine HMS Conqueror with the loss of 323 lives.."

006.jpg

The General Belgrano sinking

German Mercedes 540K “Blue Goose” (Mercedes 540K Special Roadster “Blue Goose”) with an armored body and bulletproof glass, owned by Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering.
The Mercedes 540K was captured by the Allies on May 4, 1945 in Berchtesgaden, Nazi Germany.
Sgt Owen Henderson is driving the Mercedes 540K. To his right is Lieutenant James Cox of the 326th Combat Engineer Battalion of the US 101st Airborne Division.

1630072895012.png

Interesting submarine name so I looked it up.....

USS Cero (SS-225), a Gato-class submarine, was the first submarine and second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the cero.
The cero (Scomberomorus regalis), also known as the pintado, kingfish, cero mackerel, cerite or painted mackerel.

USS Cero (SS-225) received seven battle stars for World War II service. Of her eight patrols, all but the second were designated as successful war patrols. She is credited with having sunk a total of 18,159 tons of shipping.

Back