Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

An Indian History

I haven't been reading for some time now, Red Indian History I always felt a soft spot for, this so just got the Kindle out and Bought....... Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown Just started it so review will follow

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee generated shockwaves with its frank and heartbreaking depiction of the systematic annihilation of American Indian tribes across the western frontier. In this nonfiction account, Dee Brown focuses on the betrayals, battles, and massacres suffered by American Indians between 1860 and 1890. He tells of the many tribes and their renowned chiefs—from Geronimo to Red Cloud, Sitting Bull to Crazy Horse—who struggled to combat the destruction of their people and culture. Forcefully written and meticulously researched, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee inspired a generation to take a second look at how the West was won.

Think I'll pass. I know how it turns out.
Besides, in these times, I'm depressed enough.
Yes I know that it's a side of American white man history that wasn't handled at all well, so far in the book I am truly amazed how many different tribes there were, some large some small, what inspired me
to read this was looking at the films Dances with Wolves and last of the Mohicans .... ok I know they were films and are jazzed up a bit, Very good films at that

It is an amazing book. You can look at my avatar and assume some things, but you might be wrong. What I will tell you is that this part of our US history is under represented and thoroughly white washed in our educational system. I have had the honor of working in Montana on my Uncle's ranch/dairy farm with Crow/Sioux Native Americans (the Crow and Sioux were enemies in Montana btw) . They are loyal Americans who don't get the same respect from the country that they now serve. As an officer in the US Army, and an alum of my avatar, I had a Native American as my loader on my M1A1/A2 tank. He was a great soldier. Here is the simple fact. The tribes stood for many of the things we think we hold dear in this country.

It is an amazing book. You can look at my avatar and assume some things, but you might be wrong. What I will tell you is that this part of our US history is under represented and thoroughly white washed in our educational system. I have had the honor of working in Montana on my Uncle's ranch/dairy farm with Crow/Sioux Native Americans (the Crow and Sioux were enemies in Montana btw) . They are loyal Americans who don't get the same respect from the country that they now serve. As an officer in the US Army, and an alum of my avatar, I had a Native American as my loader on my M1A1/A2 tank. He was a great soldier. Here is the simple fact. The tribes stood for many of the things we think we hold dear in this country.
Very well said Mate...... I for one am looking forward to this read

Just finished this One, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, While i knew that the white man behaved badly, They lied cheated and killed the Indians with promises
they had had no intentions on keeping, the book explains why the Indian at to kill just to survive from the white mans lies, The book it's self is packed with information very good read
if you are interested on this subject, very sad story, @Wellsonian I have bought this one now..... "Empire of the summer moon"

Interesting. As a child I was intrigued by the native american tribes (mainly the northern ones) and probably read all Karl Mays books about the subject, with old Shatterhand and Winnetou. :)

While the systemic destruction of the (way of life of the) 'Indians' is quite well known here and described in high school history books (more so than our own black page in history, the Indonesian war, IIRC), I have read mainly short accounts and no fully fleshed out & researched books about the subject.

So thanks @Hedgehog and @Wellsonian , I have added these to my wishlist.

@Wellsonian ... I finished it this morning, after reading both books My head is full of knowledge, can I hold it...... only bits and pieces ....Quanah Parker worked out well a worthy last Chief of the Commanche Tribes, my self both books were captivating for me that's brilliant it's been some time that a book as kept me like that...... Quanah Parkers house

58151ab234fef.image.jpgQuanah_Parker_c1890 (1).png

Back