Josey Wales

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
1 game.
After a long break from CM I am dipping my toe back in with a single player CMFI game. I have had a request on my YT channel to play as the Italians, so I've picked my scenario (i'm playing against the AI) and I'm just looking for some general tips and 'what not to do's' as I've never played as them before.

Gnarly

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I vaguely recall @Anschlag doing a DAR or comic or something with them, and had some interesting commentary. But it was eons ago, and I may be confusing individuals?

Stafford

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
I usually play on 'typical' setting when selecting troops, and as expected, finding a positive leadership or morale modifier on regular Italian troops is rarer than rocking horse shit. Don't know about the blackshirts, haven't played with them yet. The Brixia mortars are handy for annoying your opponent to death, similar to a 2 inch mortar but a lot more ammo.

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I only played with them in Singleplayer a while back (the campaign mainly iirc). So, a bit rusty on the memories.
However: basically all their equipment is even crap compared to the crappy equipment some other factions had in 43 :).

The brixia is an exception probably, like other said. Their red handgrenades and the troops with the feathers on their caps look cool though (bersaglieri orso?). I think those also have 2 mg's per squad. Not sure if they still aren't allowed to split squads, when CMFI came out they definetely weren't. Their infantry doesn't have any AT weapons. They don't have any decent tanks iirc, they do have some (barely) armored cars with heavy weapons on m. And light tanks with crappy cannons. Their best armor is the Semovente iirc.

So, best tip is not to expect too much of m I guess :)

Anschlag

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I vaguely recall @Anschlag doing a DAR or comic or something with them, and had some interesting commentary. But it was eons ago, and I may be confusing individuals?
I believe you might be thinking of

The story is from the Canadian perspective so I have no insights into the Italians. The couple of times I played them was HTH and settings were typical which meant the Italians had less than stellar morale or leadership.

jobu88

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
christopher.earls88@gmail.com
I've played three games as the Italians and I now have a much better understanding of why they got their asses kicked by everybody except the spear-carrying Ethiopians.

Hardradi

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Australian but travelling Europe by bicycle
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
hhardradi@gmail.com
I have played quite a few of the scenarios they are in and two mirrored H2H games. Their soft skinned vehicles and the tankette are not that great and I would only bring them out when you have fire superiority. The AB 41 is ok. If you are using the French two man tank (cant remember the name) do not un-botton. If you loose the commander/gunner its useless. Its not to bad against infantry and maybe even AT guns.

As mentioned above, their mortars are an important component to their force composition. They play a bit like the British hand held mortar teams. I think they have more ammo but are less effective. Radio's are lacking. The HMG they use is not to bad.

Stay at range as much as possible and try and use the mortars, HMG's and LMG's in the squads to do your damage.

Bulletpoint

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
1 game.
Are the Italian infantry units cheaper to compensate for their lack of effectiveness?

Hardradi

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Australian but travelling Europe by bicycle
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
hhardradi@gmail.com
I presume so, I never checked. You would think that BF would need to do this for quick battle game balance purposes. I played two H2H mirror matches, Italians against the Luftwaffe. I won all four matches. This suggests that they are balanced otherwise the results would more likely have been 2:2. One mirror match was infantry only, the other with armour.

From both the perspective of their AFV's and AT weapons I do not think they are balanced for quick battles. I am pretty sure they only have infantry guns, no AT guns. Also no portable AT weapons like bazooka's or schrecks. So best to make it infantry only or limit your opponents armour if you are playing H2H as the Italians.

An Italian force with armour versus the Luftwaffe(Airborne Infantry) is an interesting match up. Semovente versus Marder, AB 41's and German flaks guns, etc. Sort of historical/what if, given Operation Achse. It has to be done in July 1943 (rather than Sep 1943) because in the game the Italian TOE is severely restricted after July 1943.