Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ArmA 3 session Sunday 12th September - 12:00 BST - British Summer Time

Aurelius

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Good mission.

Sometimes those NPC's can see me right through tons of foliage.
I was under fire from the Panzer commander, and I couldn't see him at all.

I shifted slightly to try and see him and he got me.
Turned out he was quite a distance away, with lots of concealment between us. :oops:

In the town, my SMG was great, up close.

Another successful mission.

8b6m31l.jpg

Good mission.

Sometimes those NPC's can see me right through tons of foliage.
I was under fire from the Panzer commander, and I couldn't see him at all.

I shifted slightly to try and see him and he got me.
Turned out he was quite a distance away, with lots of concealment between us. :oops:

In the town, my SMG was great, up close.
So, how the AI work in Arma:

The AI squad share all info, if one man in the squad can see you the whole squad can see you. That means that as long as one of them sees you the rest can fire through soft cover. The AI "communication" is instant and does not really on radios. With LAMBS Danger the AI will also suppress and assault your previous known position, so if you don't move there is a chance for them to hit you through blind fire. The AI does also see through the grass (but not foliage) on the ground so they have the advantage in a fight on a hill.

That is something that is not up to me.

Tell me more about scenario pacing, whether combat was tough, challenging or easy. I understand that it was a bit of a walking simulator.

I think it was a good mix of peace and action. I find the placement of the MG's a bit odd, as they seemed to be pointed at what they where supposed to defend.
I prefer walking over driving as it let's you get the jump on the enemies more often.

Yes, MG placement was intentional. I am kind of a cruel Zeus when I zeus. I regularly walk up to players in my group and rough them up.

I find the placement of the MG's a bit odd, as they seemed to be pointed at what they where supposed to defend.
Agreed, the MGs were placed to lay fire directly into the artillery position rather than to cover the approaches to the area.

Some were, some were not. You chose that avenue of attack, and that is why you get that impression.

That is something that is not up to me.

Tell me more about scenario pacing, whether combat was tough, challenging or easy. I understand that it was a bit of a walking simulator.

I think the pacing was okay.
There was lots of time jogging between points, but it allowed us to see and use more of the map too.
The patrols here and there helped with pacing.

The encounters were action packed.
Each of the encounters could have potentially wiped everyone...but that made for some tense moments.
Like @DoubleD working on someone who was down (can't remember who), while a Stug rumbled past our position not more than 20m away, with Panzergrenadiers riding it.

Can you 'set' the skills of the A.I.? Like how accurately they shoot? Most of them seemed like very good marksmen. A little too good maybe? Better than me anyway. :)

With the challenging tasks and battles, we seem to run out of medical supplies quite quickly.
The cache was a good idea. I like having a squad vehicle(s) with us, to carry extra supplies. However, they tend to get blown up very often.

Can you 'set' the skills of the A.I.? Like how accurately they shoot? Most of them seemed like very good marksmen. A little too good maybe? Better than me anyway. :)
Without Eden Enhanced, I can't set the accuracy and weapon sway skill. I can only set the general skill level of ai soldiers. They were all above 50%. I haven't really noticed that they were that deadly accurate.

With different mod presets which include Eden Enhanced, I usually set accuracy and weapon sway at 40%. Far too often have I seen people who Zeus bump it up above 50%. That just creates artificial levels of difficulty. Such missions are usualy not fun.

When I set out to make this mission, I was thinking along the lines - Okay, I am a German defender, the enemy has commenced a major offensive. I need to set up strongpoints, speedbump emplacements (to delay and disrupt). I also need constant patrols to have full view and insight into terrain I defend. Then I toned everything down, because it is a video game and not a lot of players have actual military experiences.

IIRC: Eden Enhanced does not add addon dependency too the mission for most features. I use it together with Eden 2.0 when i develop. (Eden 2.0 does add dependency for a lot of its features). When i test i also have accurecy set to 40-50%. I remember back in the ArmA 2 days people usually bumped up the AI accuracy to 80% to buff the brain dead AI, which made them threatening but also unrealistic.

Some more feedback:
  • I think from a historical perspective your mission pretty very accurate, even the the MG42 lafette positioning behind the lines on hills are accurate (If they where defending the front lines rather than the rear).
  • I kinda liked the forest combat, it was kinda fun getting split up and having to work with whoever you found close to you. Problem being that it's very hard to find those who get downed, forcing the gm to teleport them close to those who are alive (I will come back to this point).
  • For the setting: It was slightly unclear if we where already behind enemy lines or if we circumvented their lines by moving in the woods. The ambient patrols added immersion, especially with the Stug.
  • Difficulty: I feel like a lot of the problems came from us getting disorganized when fighting in forest and poor scouting. This probably have a bit to do with the lack of the squad radar. When we where engaging the enemies as a unit we usually did pretty well, like when we entered the village behind the artillery.
For ACE Medical:
Not sure if it's possible to change the ace settings from the settings used by your unit, but if it is it could be an idea to increase the unconscious wake-up chance and reducing the bleed rate so we don't need to carry 20L of blood. We usually struggle and get pinned down when we loose two men, which leaves only at most 4 people to defend. The medical settings worked better in low intensity combat like Hearts&Minds. We are not 'drilled' enough to deal with such situations.

Overall i really liked the mission, the intensity was very good and the combat felt challenging without being unfair. The difficulty mostly came from our own mistakes.

Settings are already at the lowest tolerable - they can go down further, but then the question of disabling ACE medical pops up.

MG's were mixed - some were defending front, some rear.

As for medical emergencies - people got left behind. There were no pairs or teams, and in a tough situation, people were either attacking or trying to find cover.

I teleported and healed people because I could not set up the respawn function.

As for medical emergencies - people got left behind. There were no pairs or teams, and in a tough situation, people were either attacking or trying to find cover.
I agree with this assessment.

How about a bit of pairs training. Set up a couple of attack settings that can be run in pairs simultaneously. That way at least two pairs are training at the same time. See who can get through together. Then perhaps one training course as a group. All have to stay together, no teleporting and if one person dies we all fail?

Well, I wanted to do ACRE introduction course, coupled with medical training. I guess I could do some theoretical and practical explanations.

Yes, ACRE makes TFar go bye-bye. It is simpler to use in practice. I'll think some more about the course. Now I get the opportunity to showcase SAF mods... Yes....

Back