Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Close Combat goes 3D

Funny I was just thinking about starting a thread as well. Yep its out today so Im sure some of us will be picking this up! So naturally give us some feedback on what you think. Im sure most if not all of us here at FGM have fond memories of playing the original series. Overall gameplay looks familiar but now its in a 3D engine.

Also worth noting is that Orders popup menu looks near identical to BFs. :unsure:

Purchased today. I "like" it. So far it's a smaller scale. Maps seem a little confined. 3D is workable. Selection to add contour lines helps. Troops are rendered much better than a mash of tiny pixels, but still a little cartoonish. Fun having several of the old voice files reused, brings back memories! Right now I'm giving it a 3/4 of a thumbs up. Something about it just isn't grabbing my interest like the classic editions.

Played the hell out of this game series in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Me too. It was also the first game I played online.

I remember stocking up on Panthers and facing a guy who had mostly infantry and light AT guns, defending a village. I thought I'd win easily, but he wiped the floor with me. Keyholed guns, hiding troops in fields to take out my tanks with grenades as they rolled past, etc. Really taught me a lesson.

It was one of those moments when I realised that realistic wargames are much more interesting than the "Command and Conquer" type games.

So, I'm of course interested in this new game in the series. Especially as a replacement for CM. But the lukewarm review from Paleolitic Monk doesn't really get my hopes up. Maybe I'll give it a couple of months for them to patch it first.

If you're not in too much of a hurry, I'd wait for the first round of patches. It is very playable and fun now, but could use a little improvement. After each battle you get a better detailed AAR of your performance and battle results. Apparently high command is "concerned" about my performance and are sending me additional reinforcements while my men are "losing faith" in my abilities! Don't be reckless with your troops, the survivors will remember and not perform as well the next battle. Experience carries from battle to battle.

Reading the review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, this stuff is something that is so much missed in the CM series:

"Persistent wrecks and damage, deployment zones determined by final positions, and the knowledge that even a stalemate can deplete the enemy’s unit pool and boost the stats of your own, ensure that you never feel like you’re simply repeating the same mission over and over again. "

Last edited:
If you're not in too much of a hurry, I'd wait for the first round of patches. It is very playable and fun now, but could use a little improvement. After each battle you get a better detailed AAR of your performance and battle results. Apparently high command is "concerned" about my performance and are sending me additional reinforcements while my men are "losing faith" in my abilities! Don't be reckless with your troops, the survivors will remember and not perform as well the next battle. Experience carries from battle to battle.

This review supports that. Sounds like the AI is pretty naff atm, and they've done the standard 'compensation' by superpowering the German (AI) side with stronger units to overcome their lack of tactical nouse...

One thing I REALLY liked about the old Close Combat games is that the maps seemed hand painted - so the locations seemed more like real places, and less like "computer game maps". It seems in this new game, that's still in effect; you see roads and bocage at all kinds of angles, curved roads, etc.

I definitely have some fond memories of close combat 2. I loved that campaign as you felt every battle mattered. It also had a lot of reading material covering the operation that fed my teenage desire for WW2 knowledge that the internet was not capable of at the time ... and it was the game that brought me to CMBO.

Something CC has that CM doesn't is that nice mix of strategic game and tactical battles.
One of the reasons that I like playing in campaigns here with TFG.

Just like CM, in CC I would always try and keep my soldiers alive.
They would get medals awarded, and by the end of a campaign some units were bedecked with them.

And just like in CM, the actions of individual soldiers could turn the tide of a local action...or even the whole battle.
You might have one or two guys left from a squad - and one of the riflemen would grab an MG or a bazooka off a fallen comrade and let loose.
In both games I've seen a lone surviving crewman of a tank or ATG hold on and continue firing.
Or a lone sniper defeats a bunch of enemy in close quarters melee.

Back