Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM Cold War - Proxy Wars Campaign Test

This stuff looks great! Always love seeing what you come up with @Rico

A few quick pointers that might help. The newest update to CW, patch 1.01, adjusts the ammo loadouts of the tanks and IFVs to be more realistic to the period, and the Soviets get the Ssh-68 helmet. There are a ton of other fixes and improvements (LAW launchers are now collapsed when being carried and extended when fired) but those are two standouts.

If you set the Soviet infantry equipment to 'Fair' or below in the editor, they will be equipped with AKMs and RPDs, as opposed to the more modern AK-74s and RPKs.

This stuff looks great! Always love seeing what you come up with @Rico

A few quick pointers that might help. The newest update to CW, patch 1.01, adjusts the ammo loadouts of the tanks and IFVs to be more realistic to the period, and the Soviets get the Ssh-68 helmet. There are a ton of other fixes and improvements (LAW launchers are now collapsed when being carried and extended when fired) but those are two standouts.

If you set the Soviet infantry equipment to 'Fair' or below in the editor, they will be equipped with AKMs and RPDs, as opposed to the more modern AK-74s and RPKs.

Cool, thanks -- completely missed the news that there was a patch out.

Rico will we patch up for this battle or we will wait?
@IICptMillerII which era of CW is the most balanced? I'm working on a campaign using the top portion of this map. Flash Point Campaigns Red Storm will be useful as a data base for campaign ideas.
We can patch if you want -- don't remember what preocedure would be.

Latest action ... a 20mm Vulcan AA vehicle that has been laying suppressing fire on @Nathangun 's infantry spots enemy BMP in distance but doesn't open fire... then the 20mm gunner has an extremely close shave with a BMP-fired ATGM that zips by just inches from his head.

CM Cold War 2021-07-03 14-28-27-065.jpg

The, of course, instead of hitting reverse, they just sit there until one the of the BMP's comrades pumps a few 30mm autocannon shells into them...

CM Cold War 2021-07-03 14-32-02-703.jpg

The vehicle is kaputt -- amazingly only one crewmember got wounded.

Rico will we patch up for this battle or we will wait?
@IICptMillerII which era of CW is the most balanced? I'm working on a campaign using the top portion of this map. Flash Point Campaigns Red Storm will be useful as a data base for campaign ideas.
Hmm, that is a tough one. It depends on the equipment being used in a given year. I would say 1980 or 1981 as long as the US avoids Abrams/Bradleys, or the M60A3 TTS. The M901 does have thermals and the ITOW, but I think it is fair when put up against the multitude of Soviet ATGM carriers, and also helps to even out the armor fight for the US a bit. But if you're looking for low tech only, it would go as well.
The Soviets should avoid using the T-80B and possibly the T-64B as well. I would also avoid the SU-25 for air support, and the BMP-2 was pretty rare for the time period so BMP-1s likely make more sense.
Otherwise the equipment should be relatively on par. Of course, if you stick M48s against T-72A's its probably going to be pretty lopsided, but what I listed above can be considered the real balance breakers in this context.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

By the way, the skins look great! Especially the Soviet stuff.

Must look through my campaign concept notes for this when I get back from my trip next week.
Actually just outside a small seaside town on the Atlantic coast in the Cape and the surrounding countryside is very similar to the maps I’d play this on.
(But the seafood here is amazing)

View from where I am sitting and typing this.

D0E14803-6725-4992-A270-91402F62EF2D.jpeg

Last edited:
So... over a glass of Merlot or two yesterday while waiting for the braai coals to be ready to put on the steaks (that’s bbq for you yanks) ... I’ve been tinkering a bit with this...

7B4823BA-F4BC-45E7-ADA2-A2BEBCF1269F.png

Will redo the map to make the island a bit “fatter” to give more room for fighting
& moving (or enlarge it) ... switch from hexes to map zones... units will either be companies or detached reinforced platoons to keep battles small and relatively low tech.
Might indeed stick to late 70’s era: M48 and M60S ... T55, T62 and BMP1’s...

...and hopefully introduce a level of narrative to start off the campaign... and encourage a bit or of propaganda smack talk and role playing.

Did some revamping of the map into a zone system and streamlining the counters.

At this point units come in four sizes
1. Infantry companies: Mech or Mot Infantry, Infantry and National Guard -- (low quality conscript garrison units) -- also some helo-borne para or marine commando companies for once-off special missions.
2. Tank platoons
3. Support weapons sections (med and heavy mortar, ATGM vehicle unit, scout platoons and grenade launcher platoons.
4. Helo gunship air support units

Proxy war map 1C sample.jpg

The white pips on the company units represent the core intact rifle platoons - if they suffer more than 50% casualties, platoons are destroyed.

The Mech/Mot infantry units also have a APC icon with vehicle numbers (either mostly M113's, BMP-1's or BTR-70's) in that company -- adjusted according to losses.
"Western" equipped rifle companies are tactically foot units (truck borne) but also have a section of light mortars attached.

I have not yet decided what AA units will be added.

Equipment is all "second tier"... M-48 and T-62 tanks ... early M113's and BMP-1's...etc.

More updates as a play around with unit scale testing.

Maps will probably be 2000 x 2000 metres to give maneuver space and firing range in the open terrain.

CM Cold War 2021-06-22 14-52-25-795.jpg

CM Cold War 2021-11-21 14-58-34-528.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see this project revived!

Hate to be that guy, but I do want to point out that the Soviet side is going to be hampered if forced to fight as individual platoons. The Soviets always intended their lowest tactical unit to be a battalion. That means that all of the combined arms the Soviets bring really start to break down if they cannot rely on the all arms battalion formation. In practical terms, this means that a platoon of Soviet tanks do not spot well, because they are relying on group spotting to make up for their optics not being as good as Western optics. 10 pairs of eyes looking at the same place is better than 3 as an example.

This might put the Soviet player at a bit of a disadvantage here. Just a heads up.

Regardless, I am still interested in partaking in this! Always wanted to be part of an operational campaign, I love the skins that have been done for this, and I love Cold War so its perfect for me.

Agreed! I think it can still work if you allow the Soviets to operate at battalion level. US company teams are still very capable, even in lower tech battles.

Any idea when this might get off the ground?

Agreed! I think it can still work if you allow the Soviets to operate at battalion level. US company teams are still very capable, even in lower tech battles.

Any idea when this might get off the ground?

Will see what works -- no idea when this could kick off -- RL and work proving very unpredictable at the moment.

Back