Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBN - Detecting and Marking Mines - Amended

The flail tank works properly without having to detect mines first. Use the clear mines command and set a path as instructed above. Any mines along the path will be blown up.

Not to my knowledge, any mines in the path of the flail should be detonated. Although I haven't used flail tanks enough to know if they can 'fail' to detonate mines.

In the two scenarios Bloody Buron Overhaul and Gold Beach in the For King and Country campaign I have used flail tanks a lot and successfully. Again, choose "clear mines" and trace a path to drive. They will detonate every type of mine they drive directly over. Occasionally it will damage the vehicle itself and rarely it will miss a mine immediately beside the tank.

Thanks for replies, wish I’d asked before it blew up! But assumed it knew what to do - like the engineers

Another question regarding mines, will artillery or mortars clear or identify a minefield? could i use arty to clear a way through a minefield basically by calling in a stonk onto one? ( as you dont always get engineers!) Plus, if it does work, does it have to be a minimum ordnance? ie over 81mm etc

Another question regarding mines, will artillery or mortars clear or identify a minefield? could i use arty to clear a way through a minefield basically by calling in a stonk onto one? ( as you dont always get engineers!) Plus, if it does work, does it have to be a minimum ordnance? ie over 81mm etc

Artillery will clear mines, but only if it's 150mm+

150mm eh, phew, not often you have that to spare. What about direct tank fire (or support HT's) firing HE into the ground ahead? Would that work?

150mm eh, phew, not often you have that to spare. What about direct tank fire (or support HT's) firing HE into the ground ahead? Would that work?

I've played the game for around 10 years, and I never ever used artillery to clear mines, despite knowing it's possible.

Infantry mines can be bypassed surprisingly easily. Usually I loose maybe 1 or 2 guys per minefield but the next soldiers secure the area and then crawl over the tile as it has the least chance to detonate one.

For tank mines you have a somewhat between 40 to 60% chance of hitting one so it is a gamble to just drive them through. Engineers won't help there because marking at mines will not lower the chance.

Never tested to shoot with actual tank canons on minefields but I would guess that only big enough explosions will do the trick.

Haven't stumbled on that many minefields in any of battles so it never presented as much of a threat to me.
But it would be interesting to test it. Though I guess it is waste of ammo.

If I remember correctly, AT tanks are only good for two vehicles. If you have trucks or jeeps to spare and run them across the known mine square and they detonate, the AT mine will be exhausted. Not sure if this works for mixed mines or pure AT mines. I read this somewhere and I can't find the source, so I may be misremembering. I did test this on a CMBN battle and two half tracks were destroyed but I passed following tanks and halftrack safely. I don't know what sort of mines my opponent laid though.

If I remember correctly, AT tanks are only good for two vehicles. If you have trucks or jeeps to spare and run them across the known mine square and they detonate, the AT mine will be exhausted. Not sure if this works for mixed mines or pure AT mines. I read this somewhere and I can't find the source, so I may be misremembering. I did test this on a CMBN battle and two half tracks were destroyed but I passed following tanks and halftrack safely. I don't know what sort of mines my opponent laid though.

You are exactly right. You can exhaust mines by running units over them. I try not to though, because I'm a softie who cares about my virtual troops, and because I think it's a bit unhistorical to just send waves of units through a known minefield. Current events in Ukraine notwithstanding.

Last edited:
The observations that I reported yesterday about detecting and marking hidden mines were based on a single trial. This morning I performed a more carefully controlled and extensive trial which has resulted in the need to amend yesterday's report. Yesterday I reported that there was a difference in time to detection between agricultural and non-agricultural terrain. That needs to be corrected. Today's observation using Wehrmacht, regular, normally motivated, with leadership '0', suggests that detection times appear to be the same for all terrain. It appears that in most cases the mines are revealed in the same one-minute turn provided that the pioneers actively crawl exactly over them. Lying still nearby may or maynot result in detection after a few more minutes. Some terrain, notably gravel and cobbles may? be a bit more resistant to detection. I am unable to discern the degree to which a random factor, positioning of the pioneers, or mobility of the pioneers interact. The possibility of a random factor appears to be less important than the mobility and positioning of the pioneers.

I assume that German veteran, crack an elite troops and SS or Luftwaffe will perform the same since you cannot do better than 'same turn' detection.
I have not tested green or conscript types nor done extensive testing on Allied troops, which did not perform as well during an actual scenario.
I found engineers on slow mode reasonably successful. But detecting is Imo the role of the dice. RT F&R about 50% success. Using Soviets engineers in Hammersflank.

But doesnt that only work once the mines have been detected? (ie same as mark mines)
I played a scenario in which the Germans use a flail tank yes on clear mines command it detonated about four mines on the road.

Back