Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMFI -- One-on-One CMFI Tiny/Small QB campaign

I have this idea I want to try out and will be looking for a dedicated opponent (preferably in similar time zone, but not essential) who would play the Allied side.

It's a fun, quick one-vs-one campaign over a small part of the Italian battlefield fighting over map zones.

I want to limit to 1 vs 1 play as not to have to wait for battles played at different pace to complete before moving on to next turn/moves.

Each battle will be a Tiny/Small QB ... either ME, Probe or Attack (max 40 turns) with a terrain-appropriate QB map ... all settings will be Mixed forces, so we can have some fun with armour.

The campaign is essentially a big meeting engagement with both sides units starting at their respective map edges and advance from there, and try and stop the other side advancing and eventually push them back if possible.

The counters represent the nationality of the units involved in each battle -- the designations and unit names can easily be changed. (the units are just placeholders and don't affect the battles)

Axis will have: Luftwaffe (Fallschirmjager and Luftwaffe ground troops armour) Waffen SS and Wehrmacht.

Allies: South Africans, British and Americans

Will pop in more details tomorrow...

PS: Forgot to add - it’s set in July/August 1944.

MASTER-new sample.jpg

Last edited:
This looks very promising! I think that is a very good idea and approach. I will follow this with great interest!
Also I would happily volunteer and test this, but if there will be other members also interested (which is highly likely) I would withdraw.

I would withdraw if you can agree with 6 timezones apart. I also have loaded me with 3 DAR's because I am too stupid to start only one at the time.
I like writing DAR's, but because I am not good in English it takes more time to get it done.

Ok -- here an example of how this works.

MASTER-new start sample.jpg

Each side has 6 unit counters. Stacking limit is one unit counter per map zone.

Both sides start with 3 unit counters on the map, and 3 more that enter the map on Turn 2.

Orders are played out simultaneously. (I will lock in my orders first, and when I receive my opponent's orders, will play them out)

Each unit has 3 movement points (MP) per turn:

Movement cost is 1 MP from one zone to the next along a road.
Moving cross country (dotted lines) costs 3 MP.

Attacking into the zone also costs MP's (same as above)

So, in the opening moves above:

AXIS:

1 Btn. KG Steiner moves from Campoli to Fauglia Pass (as the unit advances, each zone passed through comes under Axis control and gets GREY shading)

2 Btn KG Steiner moves from Biccari to Santa Sofia

Fallschirmjager Btn Faust moves from Veroli to Fiuggi.

ALLIES:

The Scots Guards move from Aubriola to Fauglia Pass (as the unit advances, each zone passed through comes under Allied control and gets GREEN shading)

The Cape Town Highlanders move from San Michele to Cappracotta

The US 1 Btn 24th RCT moves from Luccera to Fiuggi.

BATTLES:

FAUGLIA PASS: 1 Btn KG Steiner and The Scots Guards fight a ME battle on a small/tiny rough/hills QB map

FIUGGI: Fallschirmjager Btn Faust and 1 Btn 24 RCT fight a ME battle on a small/tiny rough/hills/village QB map

Force selection:
Nationality matching the unit counter -- Force selection: Mixed
(will post more details later)

If battle result a DRAW/Minor Victory/Defeat - the zone is considered CONTESTED and the battle is re-fought next turn. (same map or different map with similar settings -- we can decide)

Any other victory level, the loser has to retreat (if unable to do so, the unit counter is destroyed)

More details later -- have work to get to...

Here a theoretical 2nd turn:

MASTER-new start sample2.jpg

Battle in FIUGGI ended in DRAW -- so the FJG BTn Faust and 1/24 RCT re-fight the ME battle.

Up north, the Scots Guards Btn have pushed the 1 Btn KG Steiner out of FAUGLIA PASS and are continuing their attack into FAUGLIA -- a Probe or Attack battle ensues.

Meanwhile, 2 Btn KG Steiner is attacking the Cape Town Highlanders in CAPRACOTTA -- Probe/Attack battle on a open/village/agricultural map.

The follow up Btn's have also arrived and moved as indicated on the map -- 2 Btn KG Fritz is in reserve at CORVINO AIRFIELD ... and 2 Btn 24 RCT is in reserve at SAN PIETRO.

NOTE: a unit that has lost a battle is considered to be "regrouping" and cannot attack in the next turn -- it may move and defend, but not attack.

More later...

Another simple concept addition: They will have 3 "strength pips" on their counter.

Every time a unit loses a battle and is forced to retreat (Total, Major or Tactical defeat), it loses a pip.

If it loses two battles and is reduced to 1 "strength pip" it can no longer attack but only defend ... if it loses another battle, the counter is removed from the map.

unit sample.jpg

Back